Giant Tcr Once "Proper finished"

Plus one

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
Just arrived at steptoes bike yard :roll:

Had a 2003 tcr 2 with full 105 group set bought tail end of 2002.. I used it for few years as my Sunday best and bought a carbon Scott in 07 so the tcr was reduced to winter/commute use .. Sold it on few years ago and regretted it ever since :facepalm:

Been looking for a while now and had to have this one that I think was the 2003 team once edition ? Not on bikepedia but did find images on web of it with full centaur/mavic wheels..

Am I right in thinking my previous tcr 2 was aluxx tubing and the once team is aluxx sl tubing ?

Or are they both identical ? Anyway won't be a flash build mostly 105 which I already have as this will be a winter/wet weather ride.. Have my tcr advanced for Fine weather duty :cool:

She is in exceptional condition and a bonus to score it with the aero post it looks long in pics it's a no.5
Which doing a few measurements should be bob on for my gangly frame..

Any info thoughts welcome :D

Untitled by Plus one2010, on Flickr

Re: Giant tcr 03 once team ??

JYvdK":1v89acqf said:
Very nice, what's the plan?

Nothing special .. Putting mostly well used 105 on and a set of fulcrum 5's and use lots as my main rider :)

Once they stop lashing the roads with tons of salt we must hook up for a ride on the old steeds :cool:

Col

Plus one":2zlgukii said:
Am I right in thinking my previous tcr 2 was aluxx tubing and the once team is aluxx sl tubing ?

Or are they both identical ? Anyway won't be a flash build mostly 105 which I already have as this will be a winter/wet weather ride.. Have my tcr advanced for Fine weather duty :cool:

Hey Col,
As far as I've made out all Giant TCR and classier model OCRs had ONCE branding in some form between 1997 - 2004/5ish. I seen some team bikes which have anodized finish rather than painted finish but I don't know if the alloy was any different.

Looks lovely in your pics, you must have been very pleased to receive it as it looks nicer than in the ebay pics.

With regards to my TCR builds, they're both on hold whilst we're moving house but I just replaced the groupset on my blue OCR3 for a brand new SRAM apex group with hope/mavic cxp33 wheelset, need to fit the chain tonight and toe in the cables then its back on the road.

Looking forward to seeing your build progress, I think there's a TCR revival going on a the mo, we'll need to start our own forum ;) regs Adam

riddim-track":2a8bcfca said:
Plus one":2a8bcfca said:

Hey Col,
As far as I've made out all Giant TCR and classier model OCRs had ONCE branding in some form between 1997 - 2004/5ish. I seen some team bikes which have anodized finish rather than painted finish but I don't know if the alloy was any different.

Looks lovely in your pics, you must have been very pleased to receive it as it looks nicer than in the ebay pics.

With regards to my TCR builds, they're both on hold whilst we're moving house but I just replaced the groupset on my blue OCR3 for a brand new SRAM apex group with hope/mavic cxp33 wheelset, need to fit the chain tonight and toe in the cables then its back on the road.

Looking forward to seeing your build progress, I think there's a TCR revival going on a the mo, we'll need to start our own forum ;) regs Adam

Thanks for info Adam... Memory ain't what it used to be I'm sure whilst browsing the catalogue back then the higher spec alloy bikes were aluxx sl over just aluxx ? Could be wrong though :roll:

The seat tube badge on my tcr 2 did only say aluxx tubing and seen a few on eBay etc with same badge.. However this frame has aluxx sl on badge .. Who cares :LOL: it will build into a peach either way :cool:

Really really pleased with condition of frame set even the headset bearings are silky smooth and look original.. Almost a shame to use as a workhorse but already have too many mint bikes for nice weather riding ;)

Yes to a Tcr fan forum too :cool:

Col

Cool, will look good; yep should catch up and will show you my Colnago build before it goes.and i would like to see that Ron Cooper..good luck with the build!

Plus one":3c1wmfdn said:
Thanks for info Adam... Memory ain't what it used to be I'm sure whilst browsing the catalogue back then the higher spec alloy bikes were aluxx sl over just aluxx ? Could be wrong though :roll:

The seat tube badge on my tcr 2 did only say aluxx tubing and seen a few on eBay etc with same badge.. However this frame has aluxx sl on badge .. Who cares :LOL: it will build into a peach either way :cool:

Ah yes, well you're right. I had a look at my TCRs last night and my 1996 is made from "C.U aircraft spec aluminum", the TCR3 is made from "6061 aluxx butted aluminum", the Silver TCR special is made of "SL aluxx super light" and the ONCE bike doesn't have any reference to what it's made of.

Interesting, I never really noticed a difference in weight as they're all very light anyway.

Regards, Adam

I did plan on building this up with 105 bits as it will be a workhorse .. Upon hanging said few scruffy 105 bits on I quickly took them back off !! The frame merits a bit better ! My dream build would be full dura ace 7700 but thinking of intended use I balked a bit.. But then I thought what the hell you only live once :LOL:

Why can't I have a full dura ace daily rider ... So it begins another month or more on beans and toast :facepalm:

These arrived along with brifters :)

Also acquired a set of cranks(bit scruffy) but daily rider use so not worried !!

Sourced a lovely flite titanium that I had on my long gone 03 tcr too :)

Hopefully have calipers soon and on the hunt for wheels/hubs..

Plus one":eo4v6kv2 said:
I did plan on building this up with 105 bits as it will be a workhorse .. Upon hanging said few scruffy 105 bits on I quickly took them back off !! The frame merits a bit better ! My dream build would be full dura ace 7700 but thinking of intended use I balked a bit.. But then I thought what the hell you only live once :LOL:

Why can't I have a full dura ace daily rider ... So it begins another month or more on beans and toast :facepalm:

Good call, I've got a complete 7700 groupset sitting here waiting to go on my ONCE frame http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=240580

I've a real soft spot for Giants.....tcr as a best day in the mountains bike and a tcr alloy/carbon (stays+forks) time trial machine.....
Go on...go for the dura-ace build...with dura-ace/openCD wheels

Back