What makes the bikes from different countries special?

Johnsqual

Senior Retro Guru
Hello,

I posted this question in another thread but maybe it is better here: what do you think are the things that make the bikes
from the great bike building countries special? I get the impression that the really great bike building nations have something that sets their bike building tradition apart, but maybe I'm wrong. I've been thinking about this a bit and would suggest the following:

1) Britain: the tradition of fancy lugwork and distinctive frame constructions (e.g. Hetchins, Bates, Baines, Pollard).
2) Belgium: early adoption of Japanese tubes and parts. Also maybe combining the best of Northern and Southern European approaches
3) Italy: wild paintwork schemes; clean, minimal lines; attention to detailed innovations like internal cable routing and braze ons
4) France: classic touring bikes; making racing bikes and components affordable and accessible to the masses.
5) Spain???
6) Japan???
7) Netherlands???

Any countries I should add?

Cheers,

Johnny

For Japan I would say bombproof track frames and kit, plus brilliant components like Takahashi investment cast frame lugs.

hamster":1xpm2puj said:
For Japan I would say bombproof track frames and kit, plus brilliant components like Takahashi investment cast frame lugs.

Interesting how that reflects Japanese cycling culture - I assume Keirin is one of the most important forms of racing in Japan.

Italy:paintwork that chips when you look at it.
France: Quirky threads for bottom brackets, headsets, cranks and pedals
USA: Innovative use of materials (ie Cannondale CAAD + Litespeed & Merlin Titanium)
Spain: BH bikes

vivelesalpes":3qsy3vug said:
Italy:paintwork that chips when you look at it.
France: Quirky threads for bottom brackets, headsets, cranks and pedals
USA: Innovative use of materials (ie Cannondale CAAD + Litespeed & Merlin Titanium)
Spain: BH bikes

USA: claiming credit where it's not due. 'We invented off-road cycling'. No you didn't.

France and Italy were also both quite advanced in introducing new materials - Carminargent must've
been one of the earliest alu frame. Later ALAN with some of the first viable racing machines in alu and carbon,
Look, Vitus etc...

vivelesalpes":2c9f9s3x said:

Well before then, although sadly both with engineering flaws which made them less then successful, were the Exxon Graftek (carbon fibre) and Teledyne Titan (Ti, as the name implies). Although us Brits led the way with titanium frames in any case.

David

Latest posts

Back