2x9 on the ML7?

Wasmachineman NL

Senior Retro Guru
Will I miss gears if I buy a M665 crankset [which REALLY looks badass!] and swap it over from a 3x9 crank? Mostly flat forest and the occasional climbing and onroad.

what ratio cassette?

presumably you have something like 42/32/22 front - if you have 32T cassette and hardle ever use the 32T, then fitting 34T with 2 ring up front will be doable.

answer really is what is the biggest ratio you use now - then see if you can get that on the new set up..... also depends on the small ring at front - there is two common sizes, from memory you would need the smaller one.

one thing to watch out for it the front mech - if it is E-type mounting, the the 10 and 9 speed are different - the cages sits at different height to maintian the correct gap between the biggest rind - a band on type mech you would move down by 1 or 2 mm and adjst the cage stop screws.

02gf74":2d7en2zp said:
what ratio cassette?

presumably you have something like 42/32/22 front - if you have 32T cassette and hardle ever use the 32T, then fitting 34T with 2 ring up front will be doable.

answer really is what is the biggest ratio you use now - then see if you can get that on the new set up.
44/32/22 and 11-32 AFAIK, on the road I mostly use the 44t, and 32 in the terrain.

Wasmachineman NL":314ao5f0 said:
44/32/22 and 11-32 AFAIK, on the road I mostly use the 44t, and 32 in the terrain.

so if I read that as saying you do not use 22T front, then you'll have no problems ... I notice you are in NL so no surprises there.

02gf74":3d6qyho0 said:
Wasmachineman NL":3d6qyho0 said:

so if I read that as saying you do not use 22T front, then you'll have no problems ... I notice you are in NL so no surprises there.
I do use the 22t for climbing, yeah, I think I am save for that SLX crank [22-36 is tall enough I think]

Wasmachineman NL":gazlngqs said:
SLX crank [22-36 is tall enough I think]

22T ... ok, you'll be fine - I wasn't aware such a small ring existed - my chainst had 27 and 28 T - whcih I removed since I am running 11-32 at the back and it was just a bit too high a gear.

do the sums and see if you can get away with 38/24T - pretty sure you will be spinning out with 36 up front.

Back