Panic over done it

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re: Hope Spider Locking Ring Stuck

facom are mega. i had never heard of them back in the early nineties but the local engineers tool shop only stocked them mainly. easily as good as snap on but not quite as over priced. still very expensive and i dont own enough.

Im on board with you there (Was just getting at the snap on is overpriced bit).

i only ever had a deep socket 3/8th drive set of snapons and yes they are well made but the prices are frankly barmy. early 90`s i paid £150 second hand for them. 8mm to 19mm i think it was 10 sockets in all.

Gedore and Bruder Manesmann also has nice stuff for not too much money, My dad has two socket sets from Manesmann which are quite old and still work very good.

is it off yet?

best if you can get two steel rods of the same diameter as the holes and put them into a vice the correct distance apart, put hub on top and turn the correct way to loosen whilst pressing down do the rods don to pop out. you could dry using drill bits, in the vice with the non pointy end uppermost.

a bit of heat if there are no rubber seals to the hub would make it expand so in theory make it easier to undo.

circlip pliers, as someone suggested aren't really designed for this some may pop out and damage the holes in the process.

there is a hope tool for this, I own one cos I got fed up with using pin spanners and not being able to get them tight enough!

where are you, if local I could lend it to you...

adlyhobart":zq6litfv said:
facom are mega. i had never heard of them back in the early nineties but the local engineers tool shop only stocked them mainly. easily as good as snap on but not quite as over priced. still very expensive and i dont own enough.

I bought a pair of Facom lock ring pliers, they were about 2/3rds the price of Snap-On, and next time I needed them I had to go and buy the Snap-On ones. That was 1980 and the snap on lock ring pliers have been abused ever since and still haven't broken.

First way I would try and undo that is to put a socket extension[bit of bar] through the axle and a pin[allen key if you really must] in the hole and then stick a screwdriver between the pin and extension and undo.

Back