The *NOT BORING!* Hi-Fi faff chat and sales

Re: The Hi-Fi Chat and sales thread

The thing that made me give up on vinyl was the hugely varied sound quality.........yup some recordings were great and sounded better than my cd players at the time....while others were almost impossible to listen to............yes some cd's are a bit shaby, but so much more consistancy i've found.

Indeed. Current CDs (or remasters) are a lot better than the early 'pressings'.

and talking of vinyl....

The moment had arrived!

The kiddies were old enough to be almost trusted so with a great fanfare, out came the trusty project debut! They were quite excited, i'd explained that this is how old codgers used to listen to music etc and the were genuinely interested.

Plug it in and hey presto....no turntable movement... C**ck!!! It worked when i put it away i explained and the good lady just rolled her eyes :)

Anyway any help or advice would greatly appreciated.

First off i'm not too hot on electricity!

Changed the fuse and power is getting in as the cartridge is picking up off a record.
Took the platter off and no movement from the main drive spindle.
It was turned on at the wall.

So im guessing a problem with the on/off switch or drive motor?

All the best,

Karl

Doesn't the debut have a plug-top power supply and a 16vac motor?

You don't need power at the turntable to get sound. The pick up generates signal without power present.

Didnt have a clue so just found the manual on line - http://www.sumikoaudio.net/project/manu ... manual.pdf and yes 16v. If by plug-top power supply you mean straight into the mains then yes again!! Took a photo of the underneath which ill pop on here tomorrow. It all looks ok, the mains cable going in is retained firmly and there is no loose feel as it enters the motors cover. Have just checked everything over again and it all looks and feels right yet nothing....

Thanks for the tip about the pick up. I did warn you of my genral ignorance of these things.

I take it the supply plugs into the deck with one of those concentric plugs like you find on portable radios and stuff? If so, it's worth checking that there's voltage coming out of the power supply. Without seeing it, I reckon that's the most likely culprit.

breaking news!

Rogers LS6A and Wharfedale E50 in my grubby little hands awaiting testing...

apache":1blxxvpd said:
I take it the supply plugs into the deck with one of those concentric plugs like you find on portable radios and stuff? If so, it's worth checking that there's voltage coming out of the power supply. Without seeing it, I reckon that's the most likely culprit.

The supply is 'hard' wired in...that is straight from the mains socket into a box (where the transformer is?) mounted under the turntable. As it enters it is fixed very firmly so no movement at all. I didnt have time to take some pics today. I'll zap a couple up tomorrow. It looks like i might be chucking this at my 'friendly neighbourhood' electrician!!

E50s eh? I used to lust after them in my teens. Well, E90s actually, back when I thought 'more = better' :D

E series sell for loads on eBay for some reason, probably to those loons who think valves are best, so need super-efficient speakers.

Where do you get all this stuff?? My local house clearance junk shop has occasional stuff (they've got a shabby Technics amp & tuner at the mo, but dont get good stuff very often)

Back