Kona explosif 98? 16"

Kona Tone

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
was told this frame was a 98 Explosif all I know is it's light and I can see the frame numbers.

I did quickly sling it together as a single speed to try it for size, it's a wee bit small for me, but gonna build it up all the same.

so two major questions before I start is it definately an explosif? is it a 98? that would make it 853 yeh?

then what decals to use, I like all years decals maybe 92 would suite the black, I know that a lot of Kona lovers switch years late bikes with early decals etc so what do you think?

securedownload-22.jpeg

built up for the school run

securedownload-5-1.jpeg

the frame

securedownload-2-1.jpeg

ignore the bottom bracket it's coming out again

0da1450e-723b-45e4-a69e-b984ebebaa25.jpg

bit of touching up to do

1f03c68f-2d7f-42f2-a33e-5c2398009a7a.jpg

securedownload-3-2.jpeg

securedownload-4-1.jpeg

came with threaded forks, spinner on the drop outs but do recall some P2s having spinner on them or am I imagining things?

Thanks for looking, any help and info appreaciated ;)

Tony

Def not a 1998 as they came with different dropouts, other than that I'm not sure to be honest, if you weigh the frame you can rule out a fair few options.

That's my only reservation that the drop outs look different
though I have seen different drop outs on small bikes somewhere
along the line. Not got that retro bike accessory (digital scales) yet
but will weigh it when I get chance. Think the forks were added later probably
came with suspension forks originally think this guy used it for London commuting.

Thanks for your replies so far

Tony

Have had a look at that one for reference remember the paint touch up thread too.
I was hoping some like Anthony (who seems to know Kona's inside out) would be
able to identify it straight away, I personally don't mind what model it is just want to
touch it up get the decals on and give it another ride, not that it will get any bigger or
Me any smaller :)

Thanks

Tony

Dropouts look the same as my '97 cinder cone ? (Prior to the disc mount addition of course)
Can't quite see it in these pics, but the kona moniker is there.

C7FB1F9E-81A8-49AA-9020-96CD06CF3E91-4830-00000808B632DA64.jpg

acba1bb4.jpg

Nice conversion Bren ;)

I've also got a 97 Lava dome which I think is the same frame as yours, I'll check the numbers see if they correspond in any way

my frame number is H860 6439 if that means anything to anyone in the know

Thanks

Tony

By 1998 the frame would have been ahead, so wither they are mismatched forks or the frame is earlier.
They should be triple butted: IIRC that means TB stamped on the fork. Others (plain or DB) had Spinner.

My 18" 1995 Lava Dome is exactly 4lbs, weight wise you should be under 3.8lbs for it to be an Explosif.

Latest posts

Back