What not so modernish petrol estate car?

Re: What modernish petrol estate car?

John":3ly34iuf said:
Kevhl":3ly34iuf said:
Depends on your budget but check this out: http://youtu.be/2KfMY96v_Gc
Audi S4 3.0tfsi with a couple of choice mods.
Alot of car for the money, although I talked chris into the brake and rear arb upgrade!

Is that you in the video Kev. Nice motor but not sure as the missus would need something over 400 brake to go to the supermarket.

I'm afraid so, thought I could get away with being out of shot especially as I had a silly hat on (it wasn't a warm day!). That S4 really did need a good clean up, it stinks of dogs and I've had to drive it around and do the driving in that video. It's pretty quick now though!

Them Audi s4 b8's are ridiculously good value for money I never knew they were supercharged. However are they as reliable as the v8.

We've had four of them since they came out back in 09. I've done loads of track days, numerous Ring days and they've all had a hard life. Never missed a beat! Time will of course tell but IMO the older one was a very dull car to drive anyway!

Gtpulse":3e8hhur2 said:
Subaru Legacy Gt-b. Best car I've ever had, would still have it if I didn't have a 40mile commute. Mine had done 210k miles when I sold it and went on another 80 or so k with the next owner. 280bhp 4 wheel drive, could fit a sofa in the boot, smiling all the way. Other than the pneumatic solenoid box was relatively easy to work on and reliable if its got good history.

What MPG were you getting on average?
I'm getting 22-24 on short journeys and 35+ on long journeys from the 2.5GX but I want to change to a turbo but unsure if MPG will be much worse.

BTW John you won't be disappointed with the Legacy, you say you don't need AWD, but the Legacy essentially drives like a very grippy FWD. very sure footed all the time.

Might be coming round to at least looking at a Legacy. Have to be a pukka UK car mind.

What would be the one to look at, seems to be a fair bit of choice. Would the 3.0 NA be a good choice like this one > http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Subaru-Legacy ... 4853de5780

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I did have the u.s. equivalent of the legacy being a brand new outback in 2010 until 2012..the 2.5 (non turbo) permanent 4 wheel drive with the cvt gearbox.

Probably the best all round car we had ever had. 28 on a run and around 20-22 around town. High enough off the road to cope with the worse of winters and a geuine off road contender for lanes and fields. plenty of room with the rear seats flat. Get a tow bar then a bike rack that works off it

I think it was in 2010 that the model was updated with 40% of subaru now being owned by toyota

sylus":1928ogrm said:
I did have the u.s. equivalent of the legacy being a brand new outback in 2010 until 2012..the 2.5 (non turbo) permanent 4 wheel drive with the cvt gearbox.

Probably the best all round car we had ever had. 28 on a run and around 20-22 around town. High enough off the road to cope with the worse of winters and a geuine off road contender for lanes and fields. plenty of room with the rear seats flat. Get a tow bar then a bike rack that works off it

I think it was in 2010 that the model was updated with 40% of subaru now being owned by toyota

Is that US gallon then at 3.8litres or UK gallon at 4.5litres?
I'm still trying to work out if mine is too thirsty and how the turbo models will be.

I think after 2004 they did go a little more complex over the early ruggedness so may have improved on fuel consumption and refinement but lost a little on the legendary reliability.

apologies ..yes it was a u.s. gallon

considering where is was, it was either 3 ft of snow for 5 months or 70-100 degrees the other months then the combination of air con use most of those summer months and the automatic gearbox along with the u.s. gallon probably gave the lower mpg figures

I would say if you are after excitment in your car, we never felt that in the standard 2.5 we did however chose it for the ronseal effect..it did exactly what it said on the tin, got you from a2b safely, was supremley reliable. We could go up the mountain pases and forest rides one minute then just as hapilly load the kids and the shopping in the next

the reliablility did take a dip until toyota bought the 40% share of subaru and much of toyota's engineering became involved to blend with subaru's..the good bits

Back