1991 GT Zaskar **Update**

Just picked up a 91 Zaskar myself...Had about 12 stickers on it and now there is sticker goo all over it. Where did you get the great decals? I have the original Zaskars on the frame but they are looking tired. Thanks, your bike looks incredible.

merckx":1j2zx2hg said:
Tomahawk kid":1j2zx2hg said:
Dont want to teach a granny to suck eggs but are you certain the frame is a 91? From the decals it looks like it could be a 93 .

Nice job on the polish BTW.

definate 91 or 92. it has non replaceable derauilluer hanger tips, and U Brake bosses.

the 93 changed over to cantilver studs and a replaceable hanger....

Another way to see its early is the lack of cable guide round the seat tube , and the riveted cable guide under the top tube towards the seat tube .

Looks stunning !

Any update? Did you complete this bike? Looks superb so far. I'm always amazed how well these 20 year old frames polish out.

Re: 1991 Zaskar frame

Drencrom":35pb7jin said:
Good as new!

Not bad at all for a 20+ year old frame. :cool:

Hi

Fabulous work!

Have you heard of electrostatic cleaning alloy to start with?
It is an electroplating shop process and gets rid of all impurities in the outer surface of the alloy.Looks like new.
Anodising also would preserve it to some extent, but may not preserve the brilliant sheen.

I have just been given a frame 91 GT Zakar maybe? H2A01605 inside LH rear dropout and no other id on the dropouts.
Cable abutments are sq section, but seem screwed on, not welded. Apart from that, it is as yours.
Rear brake must be the old GT Timberline Exage U style as the axis points are outside the 26" wheel circumference.IE above the rim near the GT - Z distinctive frame fork bridge plate.I was not sure about this, but I picked up some green anodised frame GT Zaskar pics from the net that shewed the old Deore canti brakes. I thought it may have the early ' cantilever like an 85 chromed Mongoose ATB has.
Can you tell what year it is by the frame number above?
Here is the green frame from the net and some comparo of later brake setups.

Attachments

• GT Zaskar LE 1994_rearfork_bridge.JPG
    GT Zaskar LE 1994_rearfork_bridge.JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 1,853
  • GT91rearbrake.JPG
    GT91rearbrake.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 1,853
  • P1040339_zpsac805a29.jpg
    P1040339_zpsac805a29.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 1,853
  • GTZaskar_green.JPG
    GTZaskar_green.JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 1,853
Re:

Golite4":235x75gj said:
Just picked up a 91 Zaskar myself...Had about 12 stickers on it and now there is sticker goo all over it. Where did you get the great decals? I have the original Zaskars on the frame but they are looking tired. Thanks, your bike looks incredible.

Check out these babies...appx 91 green framed variant and the pic of the bike.
There are other pics that may or may not shew positioning.

Clearly there are some variation in decals and the alloy Vs painted colour coded anodised dichotomy.

Attachments

• decals_91.jpg
    decals_91.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 1,710
  • GTZaskar_green.JPG
    GTZaskar_green.JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 1,710
  • 91GTZaxo.JPG
    91GTZaxo.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 1,710
Re: 1991 GT Zaskar **Update** 16.08.2016

Marriage and two kids later I finally got it finished!

Back