Not good for minority rights?

sylus":1p60fn0f said:
Neil":1p60fn0f said:
What do I care about wikipedia - are you trying to dispute the definition of an online dictionary? Really?

I thought you were chap

funny, oxford has it as french for duck also http://oxforddictionaries.com/definitio ... d?q=canard
if of course your after accuracy within in it's true origin?

That very link you've given, um, what does it say right after the number 1 - that would be the first listed definition for the word...

sylus":uzz75fa6 said:
it does but the origin is within...duck

Here's the thing - you took issue with my use of the word, not the other way around.

I never argued about it's origin, I'm merely asserted my use of it as correct - you wibbled with that, not the other way around. No point bleating about it, plenty of words have origin meanings, that have gone on to be used and defined for other, implied meanings in later times.

As to Brutus - well you brought that on yourself, there.

Neil":fk0spxua said:
I'm merely asserted my use of it as correct

as did I or are you asserting on your opinion is valid again and mine is utter utter rubish?...I see a pattern emerging

sylus":2735bjs8 said:
Neil":2735bjs8 said:
I'm merely asserted my use of it as correct

as did I or are you asserting on your opinion is valid again and mine is utter utter rubish?...I see a pattern emerging

Why are you constantly trying to assert strawmen?

You took issue with my use of the word, not the other way around - I didn't start telling you what you thought of the word was bogus - merely that my use of the word was indeed correct. There is a difference.

sylus":1dawdzyz said:
ducks and now scarecrows?

Listen, if you just want to bicker and mither and get the last word - feel free, I'll not fight you for it.

Thing is, though, there's no point trying to play the pedant, then having it backfire, then whinging about it.

Which was my point all along when it comes to minority rights

what someone considers offensive others consider okay

Neil you have said more or less all I would have said on this.

Seems the media is largely to blame for this notion that that the N word is bandied around harmlessly amongst the groups it is otherwise used to offend.

Arguing that KKK and NF types should be free to carry on using terms like that, in the name of free speech; and that that is somehow justified because some members of the group it is used to offend happen to have taken 'ownership' of the term, use it ironically, or out of ignorance, is specious.

The judicial system has discretion, and it is applied when the facts of a case are considered.

Bob Dylan, Elvis Costello or Snoop can argue for artistic license.

Let the local BNP campaigner have his day in court I say, rather than allow them the same license.

The argument was not that it be continued to be used..but that it be not used at all ..by any colour

Back