Can I service an XT 7spd freehub, if so how???

can anyone tell me where i'd be able to get a replacement seal, or if the STX-RC/Acera-X 7 speed freehub is compatible? :(

Any 7 speed freehub body will work - I have swapped the one off an old M730 in the past to a later STX one to get an 11T cassette to fit.

I have never bothered with rebuilding a freehub body itself.

I tried to relube an 8 speed one by flushing it out and then refilling it with grease. It didn't work very well afterwards anyhow. May be best to bite the bullet and get a new one. Would you need a spacer for 7 speed cassette on a speed hub?

Tommy":2sla2cfg said:
you can loose the bearing cup wit a piece of metal

p4pb1394522.jpg

i was literally looking at my DMR revolver freehub body wondering why there were some cut outs in the bearing race - and this post tells me why! my freehub innards feel alittle wobbly and this may be the reason why - if this can be tightended up, you've just saved me a ball ache! :D

I clean mine up as per Marc, though I try and not take the large plastic/metal bit off as they can be a bugger, metal more so. But that same seal can be swapped between freehubs to get the correct size internal diameter.

Try the stx 7spd one, only part you may need to swap is rip the metal large seal out and put the plastic one in. No other hubs lying around?

Shame your rear seal perished, I would look for you to see if other seals fit but I'm buried in boxes at the moment

I had a very noisy freehub, on the road into Reigate town I could see all the car drivers looking to see what was coming,
people on the pavement were also turning to see what the noise was. It made the noise when it was freewheeling.
I found a bit of nylon that I could stick in the freehub body and hold in with an old cassette threaded sleeve. I
drilled some holes in the nylon so I could pump oil thru it and I put an oring against the bearing surface to seal
it. With a squirty oil can I pumped some diesel/petrol though it then pumped synthetic motor oil through. Must
have done a thousand miles since and it's still nice and quiet.

Attachments

• freehub-thingie.jpg
    freehub-thingie.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 176
i might have one or two junk rear hubs lying around i can tear apart the freehub and see if the seal is compatible. :(

prev owner of the wheel filled the axle bearings of the hub with some really thick brown grease, and i'm assuming he pumped enough in that it got into the freehub. thought i'd try servicing the whole thing in hopes the wheel was salvageable.

Did this a few weeks ago with a sun tour free hub but should work fine for the shimano too. First flush with brake or carb cleaner to remove the old grease and dirt. Plug up the axle hole with something and fill the cavity with thick chain oil and allow this to drain into the free hub body, you can assist it by turning the free hub. When the oil starts to emerge at the other side its ready and you can empty the rest of the oil. This turned a partially ceased free hub into a working one for me.

Carl

tore apart too crapped rear wheels down to access the seal on the shimano (acera/stx-rc) freehub body. no go.

one was a 7 speed, the other an 8 speed. both had the same seals but didn't match the XT. The XT has two pieces to it, a rubbery o-ring and then the brittle (plastic?) seal underneath which as I've shown has cracked when extracted, and the opening compared to the other freehub bodies is narrower. the two seals i pulled out of the other two hubs are one piece rubber (looks like the picture on the Park Tool site) and is thicker and won't fit into the narrower opening of the XT.

thought i could maybe use the 7 speed acera in place of the XT, but i don't think that will work either. the height isn't the same, the XT has a higher cassette offset at the base that sits into the deeper counter sunk area on the hub shell. :(

thinking i probably have to source something from a shimano pre-parallax rear freehub

XT freehub body on the left in the pics attached.

Attachments

• DSC03323.JPG
    DSC03323.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 163
  • DSC03313.JPG
    DSC03313.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 163
  • DSC03310.JPG
    DSC03310.JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 163
Back