Retrobiking: living the dream!

hamster

Retro Wizard
Feedback
View
I just couldn't resist sharing a little dream fulfillment.
I have just got back from a 3-day tour along the Normandy Coast with my son, cycle camping on our 1993 Dawes Kickback Two tandem. Having toured in the days before children, I'm finally able to do it again now my son is big enough. It's also the first time that the tandem has been used for a longer tour, 90 miles along the D-Day beaches.

The bike itself is 531 fillet brazed (in Birmingham) with a fair few mods to save weight and improve braking so the catalogue-build purists will shudder. However it is also a couple of kg's lighter and more important stops properly!

It was below freezing every night, with 25mph winds making eastward rides a tedious grind to say the least. My son worked hard stoking and we both had a great time! :cool:

See the photo for some heavy metal...parked next to a tank... :LOL:

Attachments

• churchill1.jpg
    churchill1.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 647
That's brilliant!
Where did you go across? I'd love to do something like this, but deffo in the summer!

Portsmouth-Ouistreham/Caen with Brittany Ferries. If you go with a seat you can do the round trip for under £100.

There are loads of campsites, the municipal ones are clean and cheap. All the French drivers were courteous (had one hairy overtake, which was a UK-registered black Range Rover moron). Every village seems to have its own D-Day museum - we visited 9 in 3 days!

hamster":20ugs061 said:
Portsmouth-Ouistreham/Caen with Brittany Ferries. If you go with a seat you can do the round trip for under £100.

There are loads of campsites, the municipal ones are clean and cheap. All the French drivers were courteous (had one hairy overtake, which was a UK-registered black Range Rover moron). Every village seems to have its own D-Day museum - we visited 9 in 3 days!

Sounds like heaven to me! Cycling AND WW2 history :D
Which villages did you visit?

Back