Retro full sus...what would you get??

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
secret_squirrel":cbk5hfcd said:
Sorry for another hijack but how do the lts's and FSR's ride?

I've had and ridden various incarnations of both, in fact I'm currently building up a GT STS as we speak which I'm hoping to have done in a few weeks time.

I've always loved the way that the LTS rides - they just feel so capable, even against modern offerings.

Plus, the LTS will attract a lot more attention out on the trails than a Generalized ;)

wookiee":hwyq6841 said:
Oh really Barney...what do you know that I don't! :LOL:

Well, AMPs (and bikes with AMP rear ends/forks) aren't known for their reliability/durability, put it that way! If you bought one, it would be a good idea to get at least a couple of complete sets of spare parts because you're going to need to change them sooner or later!

That's not to say that AMPs are bad bikes - far from it! They just take a bit more TLC than others to keep them running sweetly, that's all ;)

Luckily, there's a guy over in the states called Brion La Belle (a few of us have his email address) who works/worked for AMP, and who still carries lots of spare bits, so they're fairly easy to get hold of :)

+1 for the Mount Vision Wook.
BITD me and my mate took a Mount Vision Mk1 & a Trek Y22 out for a day long test ride when he was looking for a new bike after snapping the rear mech hanger off his Explosif.
The Marin beat the Trek in every aspect & he went on to buy one :)
I rode it many times & would get one in a flash.

my vote is Mongoose Amplifier/Amp Research B2. Only real retro FS I've ever wanted and now own. Easily one of the lightest FS you can get without even trying hard. Think mine is around 22lbs or so.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=65370

There's the later model Amp Research B3, and other variants out there as well, from Fat Chance, Rocky Mountain, DeKerf, Dagger… maybe some others.

Only other I'd consider is possibly a Mantis Pro Floater.

Another late vote for the LTS, had a DH a few years ago and loved it, used it for pretty much everything (it was my only bike at one point), old school XC, Commuting, Trail centres etc, despite the DH tag found it a very capable allrounder (it had 100mm Z1 Bombers which made the difference, probably more DH with Dual crowns/Tripple clamps), as mentioned was'nt heavy for a full susser (just under 30lb), ran as a 1x8 with 32-32 low gear and could climb pretty much anything.

Still really miss it in fact :(

Back