Superlight skewers - too light ?

trek_y

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Been looking to shed a few grams here and there and hollow axle titanium skewers look a good way to lose some weight for not a lot of outlay. Plenty on Ebay for under £20 and I already have a pair of Superstar carbon / ti ones which weigh 48g but I don't trust them for offroad use. Compared to the Mavic ones which came supplied with SLR wheels they seem very insubstantial and too light to take the hits ? I'd like to fit them to my Carrera Zelos WW bike and also my Canondale Scalpel, 2 very different setups one being fully rigid and the other a full susser, but the Scalpel will be the bike which gets used the most seriously offroad. I'm slightly the wrong side of 80kg and not into hurling myself down rock strewn tracks but would like to trust these skewers to not snap if I takle a bit of demanding xc from time to time.
Any experience with these types of skewers or just tell me to stop being a wuss and use them !

You should spend your time thinking about riding rather than how many grams you could save on some skewers. I got like this once, Just put some nice strong hope or shimano QR's and be safe in the knowledge your wheels wont come off and have some fun.

I have to say that I agree with getin here...

It's all well and good trying to save weight on things such as wheels/tyres/bars/saddles etc., because you can achieve a significant and noticeable weight saving in doing so (especially on wheels where the weight saving makes the most obvious difference).

When you've already done that, and start talking about a few grams which, in all honesty, won't make a blind bit of difference to how light the bike feels, then you need to stop fretting about it!

I'd prefer to have a set of strong skewers which weigh a few grams more over a set of super light titanium ones which run the risk of breaking when you least want them to. A broken front wheel skewer could get very messy indeed :?

I used the dodge titanium ones from eBay on my kona build. The front came loose, the wheel wobbled andtook out my front brake. The shimano ones look and feel much much nicer.

i bought these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/J-L-Ti-Titani ... 43ba646340

they are so dainty and delicate and silly light

worked fine for about 5 outings, then i noticed the front wheel had come loose, so fiddled with it and finished the ride.

next outing with that bike went to put the wheel on and the whole thing just fell apart. luckily i had bought some other skewers with me as had lost faith in these.

made me realise i had been a very lucky boy, perhaps a few bumps away from my front wheel falling off.

I will use ti again , now got some spin stix for that bike, but will stick to reputable well made stuff

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Ive brought some ti MT zoom ones, 2 x 135 skewers come in at 44g for the pair, no problems YET! and saved allot on heavy standard ones fitted.

theredchili":1y3u35jl said:
Ive brought some ti MT zoom ones, 2 x 135 skewers come in at 44g for the pair, no problems YET! and saved allot on heavy standard ones fitted.

and where is my hoody james ;)

Charlieboy28":3en2uszq said:
theredchili":3en2uszq said:

and where is my hoody james ;)

been delayed, will give them a chase now !

In hindsight, i'd rather have sunk all the cash i've spent on bling aftermarket skewers into XT, XTR, Ultegra and Dura-Ace. The weight penalty isn't *that* huge in whole bike terms, and they just work. And carry on working.

All kind of what I wanted to hear.
I'll see if I can find some Mavic Ti ones then or something similar with solid axles and decent levers as was always impressed by these and at all of 90g then not going to really notice the extra 50g as I value my front teeth.

Back