Dave Lloyd CATS.........

sylus":1n9bodrz said:
Quiet often if the decals are proud it's easy to replicate in the brass rubbing technique

Excellent tip; I wish I'd thought of that before I left the frame at Argos. :oops:

E-Mail this morning from Mark at Argos.... The frame needs both chainstays replacing...OUCH!

I'm sure it'll be worth it, and I already have a plan to do a back to back riding comparison with the Roberts DB... a sort of retro retro-test.

Unlucky, that's bad news, but better it's found out now and sorted then after it's restored otherwise. It will be worth it.

Great work on the decals Neil. Not so good news on the frame - but it will definitely be worth it when its done - fingers crossed!

How long as your son been doing his graphic designing? I'm a graphic designer too and I've been working in London for the last 14 years.

I half expected that both chainstays would need doing, so it was not too much of a shock, and as Argos were not going to be able to reproduce the shape of the original stays anyway I think it will end up looking better in the end.

Gio; my son studied graphic design at college and then at uni, but only really spent his first year after uni as a freelance designer. For the last three or four years he has been working at a design studio in Bath where he is a web site front end developer, although he does the odd bit of design work on the side.

As he is a total perfectionists he was a little apprehensive about the CATS artwork, especially as I only had photo's and dimensions (I never thought to take a rubbing) for him to work from, but I think he's done a cracking job.

I knew you were in the business, as I saw your post in the general section, good luck with your venture :cool:

UPDATE.

I called in to Argos today, to drop off the forks and few other bits and pieces. I was able to watch the framebuilder fettling and fitting the new Reynolds 531 chain stays, ready for brazing later. :shock: :cool:

The fillet work on the other tubes, especially the head tube, is superb and I almost changed my mind on the paint and asked for clear lacquer instead.

So, now I just have to wait for the e-mail telling me and my wallet to call in again.

Talking to Mark about retrobikes, he told me they had just boxed up a Fuquay, which was there for a new seat tube, and we were also looking at a superb Orange (in orange and white) that was finished and waiting to be dispatched. I could happily call in there once a week, just to look and see what new projects they have finished, there are some very nice frames, with very nice paint hanging on their racks.

FURTHER UPDATE.

I got the call today.... IT'S READY.

I'll be picking it up Friday, only problem is, I'm off on Friday afternoon for a weekend away.... :facepalm:

I'm sure I can grab a few minutes to slap some wheels on it and get a couple of pics.

Great news Neil, you must be beside yourself - I know I would be.

Shame you're away for the weekend it we all do need a break from the bikes once in a while :D

Can't wait to see the pics...

Looking forward to the pics.

Funny that you posted today - the Missus asked if I wanted 'some old stickers' that she found in the kitchen drawer yesterday. They are Dave Lloyd ones in white! Let me have your address and I'll pop them in the post to you.

Back