Show us what you did today, thread

Unwrapped my new italian mistress. Thankfully Sharron's away overnight so I might be able to slip her into the bedroom so she's the first thing I see when I wake up.

IMG_0207 by steven.clubb, on Flickr

Apparently a 1985 Superissimo SLX. Difficult to tell though, Colnago made so many different models for different markets they're always hard to place. Had a look online and everything checked out as far as it could so I took a chance. Looks lovely in the flesh and has some nice Campag bits, so even if by some small chance its a fake then I have a nice steel racer with vintage campag bits and I'm happy with that. Always fancied a Brooks saddle, but never had the right bike to put it on. Do you think it would suit one, and what about the matching leather bar tape?

that's gorgeous, lucky fella. a proper bike for my preferred era

looks like a concor saddle?? i'm certainly no expect but looks the real deal, stays are stamped, fork crowns have the clubs..

personally I'd tend towards a white turbo or rolls saddle, white bar tape and the original gum hoods (reproductions are normally easily had on fleabay). Are the rims gold labelled GP4s? or MA40's If tubs, to complete the look, necessary to neatly fold a spare tub, wrapped in a little rag (to stop the strap wearing the tub wall) and attach under the saddle with a toe clip strap.

I like brooks saddles, but in the 80s they were generally to be had on touring bikes and not racing bikes and this is racing bike, but your bike, your choice fella.

are those simplex/mavic shifters?

well jealous enjoy

When I'm leading folk around the 4 Abbeys route in August i'm going to look the scruffiest there on a very beat up racer with the likes of stuff like that behind me. :oops:

Clubby that is bloody nice indeed! I like the Concor but have a white rolls if you fancy a swap. As much as I loe Brooks they would be too weighty for a nimble thing like the 'nago!

gmac123":1xfckb0l said:
that's gorgeous, lucky fella. a proper bike for my preferred era

looks like a concor saddle?? i'm certainly no expect but looks the real deal, stays are stamped, fork crowns have the clubs..

personally I'd tend towards a white turbo or rolls saddle, white bar tape and the original gum hoods (reproductions are normally easily had on fleabay). Are the rims gold labelled GP4s? or MA40's If tubs, to complete the look, necessary to neatly fold a spare tub, wrapped in a little rag (to stop the strap wearing the tub wall) and attach under the saddle with a toe clip strap.

I like brooks saddles, but in the 80s they were generally to be had on touring bikes and not racing bikes and this is racing bike, but your bike, your choice fella.

are those simplex/mavic shifters?

well jealous enjoy

Yeah it's a Concor saddle. Decent condition but looks an odd shape, maybe just broken in to someone else's arse. I'll give it a while and see. Not sure about the white/white combo, might look period but not sure it's me.
Simplex SLJ shifters indeed, good eye. Never heard of them but seller reckoned they were the peleton's choice and more reliable than campag? He built it for L'Eroica so I took it he knew what he was on about. Only parts out of time period are the headset and BB, both early 90's Chorus. With the price and scarcity of NOS Super record parts, I'm happy to stick with them.

Oh yeah, rims are gold labelled G40 clinchers. Been looking for a bike for a while but passed on a few as they had tubs. More correct for the racing period, but never used them and they seem like an unnecessary hassle. I know what I'm doing with tubes and patches!

the simplex levers are a nice piece of kit and were used/part of the mavic groupsets

the concor saddle was on my first real bike, later changed to a rolls just because as i thought they looked the part and hinault etc was by then using them. tbh i like the way the suede on the concor saddle wore and it was probably a more comfy saddle.

tubs were sweet to ride, nice feel and roll compared to clinchers. people generally only used them on their racing wheels as they were a hassle as you say to repair and too expensive to replace (for a schoolboy racers anyways) alot of people were riding the eroica last year on tubs, running a huge risk as you can only really carry 1 spare.. in saying that of the 3 in my group I was the only one to puncture, even tho it was the lesser seen front wheel puncture...

p.s. italian ebay is awash with old campag at a totally different price from uk ebay

Hi guys
Out and about locally this weekend.
I had about an hour and a half on the 1X1 early on Saturday night. My BB7's arrived for the Pugsley so I could put the BB5's back on the 1X1. It certainly felt light, fast and quick steering through the woods after spending the last few months solely on the Pugsley :D
Then this morning I fitted Calebs i-bert seat on the Pugsley and we spent nearly 2 hours riding through the woods again. Very sedate pace with lots of stops to play with all the hidden play things throughout the forest. He loved it and just wanted back on every time we stopped. Great weather and a relaxing way to spend the morning. Then after lunch watched Paris Roubaix between playing with the little man in the yard. Too lovely to be sitting inside.
I'm liking having a job where I get weekends off ;)
Hope you all had a good one as well

Jamie

IMG_3638.jpg

IMG_3639.jpg

Back