MacRetro Clan Gathering - Sunday 8/June/08 -11am- Glentress

I'll not laugh at the unfit, I've got M.E. which leaves me knackered after every ride but the grins are worth the pain.

Any body know of any more Scotland based Retrobike members, then spread the word.

Cheers

Respect velo, have a buddy who also has ME and he is just getting back to riding again. Every day is a bit of a challange for him. I'll try and get him along too as he is trying to get back into biking proper after more than 2 years out of action. :cry:

Could stick a post in the regular section too, as I don't think everyone comes into here.

I have conned at least 2 more bodies if not 3 into joining us on Sunday 8th June.

One is dragging his brothers elderly Specialized Hardrock out of the shed which he says does not handle at all well. He does admitt that his last comparison of this bike was with his Dave Yates Diablo from BITD and as he now rides an all singing/dancing Intense full sus the comparison will be even more skewed. He also promises some lurid cycle clothing from his XC past, be warned !

The other is excited about the prospect of riding a BITSA Specialized Rockhopper I'm going to assemble for him, the poor misguided fool !
How does early 90's frame, rigid forks and full Suntour XC drivetrain sound plus numerous other parts bin bits sound. The red routes going to rattle his fillings loose. He normally rides and Orange Sub 5 so his comparisons will be equally unflattering.

The maybe 3rd body, has a Ridgeback 603 very recently upgraded by me with a nice 1995 spec Marzocchi Special Edition fork. Consequently he owes me and with the fact he lives 2-3 miles from Glentress he will need a bloody good excuse for not showing on the day.

I had a practice run on my Stumpjumper on Saturday past, through some good but extremely muddy local singletrack, the newly fitted Girvin Flexstem impressing me more than I previously thought it would. So my steed and I are ready and looking forward to the day also.

I have my sights set on another couple of potential Retro riders, so we'll see if they can be persuaded.

As I have said the more the merrier so see who else you can drag along.

Cheers

This is the same weekend as the Fort William world cup :( - I'd promised to take my son to it this year.

Velo - what are your local rides? I loved living in edinburgh, spent my student days doing full moon night rides on costorphine hill and down to cramond - with no lights and many a day in the pentlands with horizontal hail. Innerleithern and Glentress were the race circuits along with a few further a field - not that I finished many.

Local rides now are out in Midlothian around Newbattle woods or around Roslin and Penicuik and occasional forays into the pentlands.

Mid 90's my stomping ground was Dundee and North Fife especially Tentsmuir Forrest where i learned most of my early MTB skills or lack of !

This weekend I'm racing ( no laughing at the back....) at Drumlanrig in the Single Speed UK Champs defending my 2004 placing of joint last place.

Have fun at Fort Bill !!

Looking forward to this :D Any ideas on routes or stuff?

Midlothian around Newbattle woods.... I used to ride there in the early '60s with my Jock Mac Donald special, bike shop in Dalkeith he used to have a three legged dog as well :) Happy Days.

Tentsmuir Forrest...... now that takes me back, 1990-1994.

Got to love that place- lots of great tracks, seals on the beaches and tornados in the sky. :D

Back