GT STS - And so it begins...

I've got most of the rest of the kit sorted in my mind, but I'm a little bit stuck on what cranks to go for.

I'll be running an 8spd M950 rear mech and an 8spd cassette. I love M95x cranks but those chainrings and that BB are a pain in the proverbial. I want something which is fairly standard so that I can replace bits fairly easily. I'm also swayed towards running the STS as a 1 x 8 or 2 x 8, so I need a crank which I can bolt a bashguard to in place of the outer chainring. This rules out the majority of M95x cranks unless I was lucky enough to find one with the 5 arm spider.

I've seen a nice set of RaceFace turbines for sale ( they're modern 4 arm ones, but Turbines are pretty timeless things apart from that ;) ). They're ISIS cranks so I'd need to get an ISIS BB to match up to them, but at the moment they're looking like a good choice as they come complete with the original RaceFace chainrings too. And they're all silver so they'll match up with the rest of the bike nicely :cool:

I thought maybe I'd get these, and then (when funds allow!) get a Hope bashguard in gunmetal to match the hubs, and finishing the bike off with Hope Skewers and Seatbolt, again in gunmetal..

I'm not going to go for any fancy anodised colours on this bike - I want it to be fairly muted (about as muted as a swoopy thermoplastic frame with carbon forks can be, anyway ;) )

Thoughts? :D

Barneyballbags":12vhp4rj said:
Just bought the wheels (thanks konaben82!)

Hope Pro2 straight pull hubs on DT XR4.2 rims which I'm probably going to de-decal :cool:

image_zps006b773c.jpg

they look much nicer than this up close! :xmas-cool:

On another note - the seatpost is a lovely chunky 31.6 which fits like a glove.

What size would the seatclamp be - 34.9 or 36.? .. ?

Looking very interesting - love the frame and think the build sounds like a beauty....

Think I bid on those Pace forks on Ebay, but dropped out (clearly) before you...

If you're still looking for an XTR 950 cassette, I'm sure I've got a NOS one still in the box if you're interested? (let me know and I can get some pics taken etc.)

Al

I've just noticed that the forks are missing a part from around one of the dust seals.... The RH seal in picture 2 has a metal band around it.. The LH one doesn't..

I wonder if it's important? :?

I believe it helps the top (dust) part of the seal seal better i.e. creates a small amount of inward tension.

If it were me I would look for a new seal.

Cassette... And a NOS one at that :cool:

photo_zps68a9b028.jpg

photo-1_zps78e05a66.jpg

Thanks to Big_Al for this - and for holding on to it for me for a couple of weeks whilst I get the money together!

Back