Family bikes - Pug + Townsend which is now a Gazelle Mixte!

Re: 2 bikes for the family - Peugeot Sportive + Townsend R L

Tel,

One week on and the frames are getting sprayed - the rims are almost ready, cranks are sorted - decals and tyres to be ordered. I might be in touch if i need anything more.

Thanks,

Richard

Well, second week update -

Frames are back, sprayed - pics to follow
Decals are almost ordered
Wheels for Peugeot are almost sorted - freewheel tool ordered
One mudguard for mixte has been polished and came up well
Tyres have been sourced for both bikes but i am waiting for cheaper options - over £20 per tyre

I think i have all the bits i need to build the bikes except those mentioned above and a childs race seat. I hope to get a bit of polishing of the bits done over the weekend.

Richard

Well, an update - and i thought i would have learned by now but obviously not!!! I have almost all the bits i need for both builds - i messed up with the Pug freewheel as i removed the hub before i removed the freewheel (posted elsewhere) - you live an learn, thankfully it is not that bad - it could have been a Campag or Mavic hub that was heading for the vice.

The frames are away to get clear-coated / lacquered as the white paint on the mixte did not come up as expected. I hope to get them next week.

These so-called 'quick' builds cannot be done quickly - i will know for the next time.

Richard

LOL

Very co-incidental post - i got the bikes back from paint, repaint and lacquering yesterday evening and they look great - i am building the mixte for my wife first and i have the forks sorta in - they will be in properly tomorrow morning.

Pics will follow tonight if i can stay awake.

Thanks,

Richard

Pics of the Townsend mixte and the Peugeot Sportive after paint and lacquer -

I will be busy with the mixte and need a few bits and pieces but i think (hope) that i have enough to keep me busy while i await their arrival. Updates to follow very shortly.

Richard

Today's update -

As mentioned the mixte is the first build and i have wrapped the Pug and put it away safely. My top tip of the day, which i have seen mentioned elsewhere, is that you need to be careful with tools etc around newly painted frames - i managed to mark the frame twice today and on my next one i will buy a 2m length of plumbers pipe insulation for £1 and wrap the frame before i start. Thankfully, my wife didn't see them when i showed them to her - they are small.

Today, between school runs i managed to fit the BB and headset without any major problems however i cannot be completely sure they are running as freely as they can. Having checked Sheldon i found that he recommended replacing caged BB races with bearing - as i didn't have enough i refitted the original items having thoroughly cleaned them and i used plenty of grease so they should be ok (fingers crossed).

I then ventured into my parts boxes and found a pair of GB Maes bars which i will use. I also found a Cinelli stem which is super short (to match my wife's arms) it is that short i doubt i can remove the clamp bolt as i have not got an Allen key short enough to fit. I polished the bars and have just finished a little filing at the stem - it was badly marked at the insertion mark and below but i suspect that i will need it raised a bit so i am planning to wet and dry the marked bit and then polish it. It would be a lot easier if i knew that it would be down really low but i can't take the chance - more work to do ...

Here are some pics of the bars - some before and after and a couple of 'one side done'.

More to follow of the stem tomorrow,

Richard

Good stuff Richard. If I read correctly you're intending to use the GB bars with the Cinelli stem , just to rain on your parade the GB bars are very likely to be 25.4mm and the stem 26.4mm....you could always use a shim on it.

Tel,

I have tried them and they seem fine - have i missed something?

Richard

Back