Recommend me some energy gels please?

mattbrown

Retrobike Rider
Kona Fan
GT Fan
Feedback
View
because I find when i'm drinking those sports drinks i'm stopping every 5 mins for a wee so energy gels could be a better way to take of fuel.

mattbrown":3fg48k0l said:
because I find when i'm drinking those sports drinks i'm stopping every 5 mins for a wee so energy gels could be a better way to take of fuel.

Personally I'd prefer bananas or malt loaf - I find the gels overly sweet and the fruit flavouring seems a touch artificial. Not nice.

David

David B":1h9djhtt said:
mattbrown":1h9djhtt said:

Personally I'd prefer bananas or malt loaf - I find the gels overly sweet and the fruit flavouring seems a touch artificial. Not nice.

David

I agree, my food of choice is these. The best is the soreen with bananas in :cool:

And does not get squashed like bananas do.

But if you do decdide to use the gels, i would recommend getting used to them slowly, not what i did on the Oxford to Cambridge, trying them for the first time that morning :facepalm:

I use the Bike Food gels.

But, they ARE sweet, as they are honey with a little natural lemon flavour worked in.

My son hates them, yum yum all the more for me.

i've never used the gels so can't comment on them, but i always take maltloaf and bananas, then a little extra, mixing it up on different days between plums, grapes or pineapple,maybe a ham sarnie for something a bit solid, with just plain water for hydration

For value, High5 boxes of 20 were buy-one-get-one-free on Chain Reaction. Torq do nice flavours and Tesco often do deals on SiS. PowerBar ones don't do it for me on taste and the Bikefood stuff was not nice in my experience. Note that High5 are smaller in volume but have a similar carb content to the others I just bought two boxes from CRC.

SP

Energy gels pro's and con's

Pro= lot's of flavours, easy to carry a few.
Con= can upset your stomach (mouth tells brain lots of high energy foodstuff, brain tells stomach to go into hyperdrive) with dire consequences.
= litter the road/trail with packets, I have suggested to Torq to alter their packaging so that it biodegrades quickly

Personally I have found the good old fashioned marzipan works, ingredients you can understand, cheap, causes a lot less stomach upset due a more natural structure, you can bite a chunk off and do a hamster impression. Graham Obree swears by it only comes in one flavour though.

You are suppose to drink litres of water with the gels, not just take them on their own. So pissing at the top of the hill in the wind will still happen.

There is only one, not sure why my retro-brain has this yellow with black writing only mind though... Not sure if they still sponser our nationals though...

Back