Unofficial retrobike allotment thread....

Green Rabbit, I'm snowed under at work this week. I'm on flexi-time though, so there's always half a chance of bunking off early.

Under normal circumstances fairly free-draining. Bournemouth is mostly sand, but it has been quite damp the past year, due to the amount of rain we've had

History Man,
I think all of these shows can be much of a muchness. I found Hampton Court to be overall a much better experience. There's still the crowds, but the grounds of Hampton Court are vast so there's room to move or escape and find a quiet corner. There's much more interesting stuff to see than Chelsea. Managed to drive there and park in a field across the road from the Court. There's some park and ride options, but these are miles out on a shopper bus – glad we avoided this. Because we usually lugging trolleys of finds from the show.

Howard.

groovyblueshed":22gi72qi said:
History Man,
I think all of these shows can be much of a muchness. I found Hampton Court to be overall a much better experience. There's still the crowds, but the grounds of Hampton Court are vast so there's room to move or escape and find a quiet corner. There's much more interesting stuff to see than Chelsea. Managed to drive there and park in a field across the road from the Court. There's some park and ride options, but these are miles out on a shopper bus – glad we avoided this. Because we usually lugging trolleys of finds from the show.

Howard.

Bless you. I meant that I once got my Hampton Court. Painful? :LOL: But If I ever visit you've given me a good idea of what to expect.

:facepalm: Wasn't sure where you going with the "painfull' bit, so erred on the side of caution.
But I'm sure we've Hadham Hall on here ;)
That's near Bishop's Stortford...

Attachments

• sid james had em all.jpg
    sid james had em all.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 586
Pyro Tim: You can borrow our flamethrower :)

Bagpuss: Two suggestions for you, both a touch impractical. Number one, find a pharmaceutical use for Mares Tail and KERCHINGGGG! Number two, build a brewery, draw your water from a bore hole, thus lowering the water table. Plus spent hops are great for composting.

Green Rabbit: Seeing you here reminded me i havent responded about those labels :facepalm: All sorted but ill be in touch anyway.

Groovyblueshed: the site we are on is bounded by small woods and fields on three sides and the fourth by a long line of terrace houses. The wall separates us from the back gardens. Its approx 120m long. The whole site is bang on south facing which means that wall and the immediate area in front of it gets VVV hot :) I'm thinking espallier or maybe a decorative grape vine.

The IBC (container) was an ebay purchase, maybe £50 last year. Just watch out for what was in it last...

The ground is a beautiful dark loam and very crumbly so i have high hopes. We also have a well on our plot :) which unfortunately has been boarded and locked by the Parich Council. Its quite deep so i can understand why but im sure we could do somethin with it. There are tonnes of sloes around here....and i mean tonnes! I'm sure we could come to a picking arrangement.

Very jealous of the kite :evil: Puts our buzzards to shame really. Whats your new plan for this year? And we want piccies of the viking send off!

just had 4 hours down the allotment, spud trenches ready, I am growing sarpo mera as its looking like the best blight resistant variety, and my sweet potato bed is ready, I have a bed with loads of manure in covered over with weed fabric, so the soil temp should be a few degrees warmer. sweet peas are starting to show there leaves as well, need to sort out ordering my Dahlias now. I might pick my first Rhubarb tomorrow.

TheGreenRabbit":ksaj8ygd said:
just had 4 hours down the allotment, spud trenches ready, I am growing sarpo mera as its looking like the best blight resistant variety, and my sweet potato bed is ready, I have a bed with loads of manure in covered over with weed fabric, so the soil temp should be a few degrees warmer. sweet peas are starting to show there leaves as well, need to sort out ordering my Dahlias now. I might pick my first Rhubarb tomorrow.

Johnathon...you're talk of sweet potatoes is intriguing! The good lady was asking about them and i persuaded her that they were very difficult to do :) Do you get good results? I've read about 'hot beds' before and fancied having a go and they sound perfect for sweet potatoes. Do you insulate he manure from the soil below and to the side or just chuck it in?

Latest posts

Back