Gary Fisher Xcaliber

Turbo36

Retro Newbie
So.... I joined the forum last year and recieved great advice and help with my plan to re-build a light alu frame.
I ended up buying a 1999 Gary Fisher Xcaliber of ebay... a week before I had to change jobs.
Fast forward a winter of lethargy and bam, here are the pics!

This is likely to offend those who like things kept stock, but I took the old bike apart to make something for my commute to work.
New spec:
Front Brake: Avid BB7, SD 7 Level
Rear Brake: SD 7 V & Lever
Front mech: XT
Rear Mech XT
Shifters: XT
Crank: LX
Headset: Hope
Fork: Exotic Carbon Fiber with Ally Steerer.

I havent weighed it but it feels light, really enjoying riding it, and hugely enjoyed putting it together. My first build so some steep learning curves, and I dare say for the money I could have had a damn good LBS bike but I have the bug and will be looking for a new (Steel hardtail) project soon.

Cheers

Attachments

• 2013-03-15 12.50.37.jpg
    2013-03-15 12.50.37.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 857
those frames are brill.

only downside is the position for a rear disc brake - there are ways to get round it - and I can't stand the sickly yellow colour ....

here is mine. (bigger frame than yours)

Attachments

• DSC07177.JPG
    DSC07177.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 827
very nice.
Agree regarding the rear disk, even tried to A to Z adaptor but but it wont fit in the rear triangle. In the end I decided to go V brake on the rear, however I did keep the old rear caliper. I have the feeling trying to replace the original it would be like finding rocking horse poo.

you're right - there is a Hayes calliper (and possibly a Hope) that would fit but you will struggle to find either.

My solution was to fit a Magura Marta IS front calliper which is compact enough to sit in the space - search the forum if you need more details.

Back