90's Wheels Help Wanted

Aluminium Ohhh

Retro Guru
Before I stick a 'Wanted' out there thought I would ask here first for opinions on 1990's wheel sets :?

Im building a 1995 Orange P7 will be using V Brakes, the bike will be used for cross country recreational use and commuting
Im not that fussed on getting the right year wheels as long as they look suitable for that era, would even consider new wheels
Want the usual light weight but strong (conflict) so really after sensible excellent quality wheels that will last me and can be maintained, I have a reasonable budget

Opinions as always appreciated

I have some XT parallax (9sp) on CR18 Sun rims FS. damn fine /reliable wheelset. Handbuilt with DT s/s spokes etc & rim Velox tapes.

I wouldnt bother with XTR hubs unless the rest of the build is XTR. Hope wont cost you any more. XT hubs are good enough if you want something normal.

I have been looking on here every day and also eBay but nothing yet
I have a current wanted add here too for 717 or 517 with Hope or quality hub but still nothing

Any ideas where else to look or how to get these appreciated

If you're after a specific wheel set it could take months. Keep a close eye on the for sale section - keep bumping your wanted ad and set up an eBay search.

I have two pairs of Hope / Mavic 717 and one pair of XT / 717.

The XT's came from a wanted ad here and one pair of Hopes a rear wheel and a Hope front hub from the bay. I already had a couple of NOS XC717 (non-disc) rims in stock, so built the front wheel myself.

Just keep an eye on the classifieds (both pre 97 and post 9:cool:, the bay and keep bumping the wanted ad.

Back