Merlin Titanium

Thanks for the links. My issues lie in that if the suspension fork bounces up, the cable between that headset hanger and the cantilevers at the fork would reduce in distance, effectively making the brakes useless. I would need something that would connect to the fork brace bridge in cable housing. That area wouldn't compress with each bounce and could retain the tension in the cable so that the brakes would work properly.

oh yes, that's true. totally forgot about that. :facepalm: suspension fork requires fork mounted cable stop. :oops:

you'd have to get a new fork i think. your fork is too modern and doesn't even have a mount to install one.

I would buy another fork, rigid curved blade and use a hanger from the headset, or a stem with a Noodle/hanger. if you want to stick with the forks, you can drill the fork brace with a small hole and bolt a canti rocker through a-la-Pace or Cannondale, this would then work and not be affected by the Suspension, or you could use an up hanger, again after drilling the fork brace.
Neither are a pretty solution for such a fantastic frame.

I will opt for not modifying the fork permanently. I thought there might be a brake bridge with a cable hanger that screwed in with the cantilever bosses but that appears to not be the case. I'll look for a rigid black steel fork locally but may order one if that option dries up. I can recoup the cost and then some by trading out the suspension fork.

Thats just lovely.

A pair of black cro-mo curved blade unicrown forks would look great. You should be able to sell the rockshox and then buy a fork fairly cheaply and some black paint.

Switchblade is a great call.

Needs an older M73x rear mech amd lose the cheapo trans-X QR!

This one is still on the go.

I've opted for XT V-brakes and XT thumbies and have them installed on the bike. Unfortunately I am missing the cantilever bosses on the fork and can't install the front brakes until I find a set. Anyone know of a source or have a set sitting in a dusty corner? :)

I've also commandeered the flite for my Team Marin which has become my slick shod commuter to and from work. I figure I'll keep this one out for the trails.

Back