Going Vegan

Chopper1192":3u4nxfax said:
I can't see how enjoying simulated dead flesh is morally any superior to enjoying real dead flesh. If the concept is so appalling, why enjoy a synthetic version of the concept?

As far as I'm concerned, it's all food with different textures and flavours. Just that an animal has to be killed for you to eat some of them, and not others. Actually I don't think there are many pleasant flavours or textures available from meat that aren't available from other sources...

I personally have no absolute moral objection to killing animals to eat, particularly if the necessary nutrition is not readily available elsewhere. In the society we live in that just isn't true and therefore I'm happier (and certainly not any less healthy AFAIK) not having animals killed for my enjoyment. I could just as easily say that, for example, minced cow flesh has a very similar texture to bulgar wheat prepared the way I like it (though without the lumps of fat,gristle and bone!), depends on your perspective!

Anyhoo, what about vegetable rights?
As vegetables are quite clearly not sentient beings they haven't got any in my book ;-)

The History Man":2k92hhaz said:
sylus":2k92hhaz said:
ajm":2k92hhaz said:
I went about a year as a vegetarian (but eating fish)

They be called pescatarians not vegitarians :D

I thought that was from Scooby Doo?

PMSl!

My sister went vegetarian in the 90's which taxed my mothers skills to the limit fussy eater (me) and fussy vegetarian (sister) Baked bean lasagna was.. interesting! Vegan i imagine would have been the final straw! Interestingly she came back to the "dark side" 8 or 9 years ago when trying to conceive and it made a hell of a difference.

I simply couldnt do it, bacon ... it calls me! (fat and lazy usually)

suburbanreuben":3wpr78jv said:
You want hypocrisy? "Vegetarians" that eat fish.

Some of us do it for dietary reasons not ethical ones, though. Ethics and fish-buying is a minefield in itself, trying to sift out the types and suppliers that have MSC approval, etc.

David

I was a veggie for 9 years..then the dark side got me..sunday morning bacon rolls

I was veggy for about the same time and then I became pregnant with my first child and began to crave meat, and as you are supposed to crave substances that your body is lacking I thought it was best to supply it and I've never returned to vegginess. Funny in my second pregnancy I craved Smarties, what dietary need I was filling there I don't know, maybe it's just a crock of shit.

Personally I don't think people should describe themselves as vegetarian and then eat fish for food or kill it for sport, either pescetarian, whatever your reason, but really meat eater.

Alison

My Dad's from Saafend and he eats meat so what's this about ethics? :mrgreen:

(Sorry, just wanted to bump this as I was enjoying the debate)

Back