How many bikes is TOO MANY

There are only 52 weekends in a year, so if you're a weekend warrior with 13 bikes and ride every weekend you're only going to ride each bike four times per year. In a decade you've only ridden it 40 times. There are guys on here with double that quantity of bikes, so that's only 20 rides per decade. And if you have a few 'favourite' bikes the less favoured ones will get even less use. No harm i guess but that does seem pretty excessive to me. Someone posted a link on here to a guy who wrote a piece about the joys of riding a bike for a lifetime and growing old with it - a kind of relationship of sorts. How many wives is too many :?:

I look at it like this:

A. When you have nowhere to store them.
B. When they don't get ridden at all.
C. When you have more than one type that does the same job.
D. When you have no love for it.

I did get up to 24/5 built. Trimmed then down to 15 all rideable.
Yet I still have doubles so should trim more, don't really ride much either.
1 retro rigid original.
1 retro rigid.
2 retro hardtails.
1 single speed hardtail.
1 jump/dirt.
1 hybrid.
1 hybrid hardtail.
1 flat bar road.
1 road race.
2 full suss.
1 hardtail.
1 hardtail race.
1 urban rigid hybrid.

But, I have a big garage, so A is OK.
Quite fancy a 29er of some sort.
CX bike would be nice.
How about a fixie, hmmm.

Then again I do admire the folks that have 1 bike and it's covered many thousands of miles and they love it loads.
So it'd be nice to sell them all and buy 1 perfect machine, does it exist, what type................ Ti CX bike with hydro discs and clearance for fat tyres. Jack of all trades, master of none?

My perspective is that of a collector so I don't need to ride everything in the Bike Garage, even though every bike gets ridden at least once a year. Some bikes in the collection are over 50-years-old and in original condition so my main goal is to preserve the original state. I have plenty of room so if I sell a bike it is because I want something older, rarer or more expensive. So there is no way I could ever have too many unless it got to the point where they were becoming damaged from knocking into each other.

I'm a rider, and try to ride 365 days a year. If I can't or don't get to ride it, here ain't much point in owning it. I'm a cyclist, not a bloody curator.

One road bike, the Mrs' MTB, 3 full suspension MTB's, 2 hardtail MTB's.

That's 7, I'm waiting for some red cage DX spd pedals to make the Marin a rider. I don't think that's too bad.

I've never taken the Marin or Proflex off road :oops:

13 bikes/frames.

About 3 or 4 are heading out the door once the weather is better.

Also have 2 belonging to my daughter and 2 to my other half so thats 17 total.

In Ballaugh I have 4 bikes and my wife has 2, in Platsa we have one each. Depending on how things go in the next few weeks I may be parting with most of them.

Latest posts

Back