Going Vegan

My friend is a level 7 vegetarian. He doesn't eat anything that casts a shadow.

Coming from my vegan mother in law(ish), pizza hut is bad, bur dominos is fine...garrrr. She doesn't eat any veggies, no idea what she eats, but she aint vegan, just an animal rights nazi

The History Man":1z8iahxv said:
:evil: Two words that should never be seen together - vegetarian sausage.

I have no problem with veggies but they should make up new names not pretend things are something they're not such as SAUSAGES :evil:

I rarely eat meat these days, not out of ethics but because it tends to upset my digestive system, especially during periods of intensive training & racing (fish doesn't seem to give me the same grief however). However, I'm completely with you on the "things pretending to be meat that aren't really meat" front - Quorn "rashers" and the like. Can't see the point myself. :?

As for a vegan diet - I just couldn't do it. I have a love of cheese that would put Wallace & Gromit to shame. :)

David

I went about a year as a vegetarian (but eating fish) without bothering tasting "fake meat"... whilst I have since tried and hated the indigestible soya based meat alternatives, the Linda McCartney sausages are actually quite enjoyable. Quorn, also not being soya based, is OK - but I generally use bulgar wheat if I want that texture.

I have to say I was amazed at how easy it was for me to stop eating meat and I don't miss it one little bit, despite having eaten meat practically every day for a few decades up till then - and that was good meat, too, not slightly-rotten-random-parts-of-animals.

Couldn't and wouldn't want to go vegan though, no way.

What nutrition comes from meat that is impossible to source elsewhere?

yagamuffin":17gc38vo said:
So my girlfriend has been vegan for a few years and I have decided to join her...
Are there any vegans on here? I have one big question, what is the best milk alternative for tea? So far almond milk is looking a winner, anything better?

I'm not vegan but I am lactose intolerant - my favourite milk alternative is koko coconut milk and for chocolate milk: oatly chocolate, I drink them both in abundance. I personally didn't like the almond milk as it is pretty sweet. For tea I actually ditched milk altogether and switched to redbush teabags. I now drink coffee black which took a few weeks to get used to but now I can't go back (I tried with lactofree milk)

For icecream I eat swedish glace, not sure it is vegan though.

There are some really nice Chocolate Vegan Brownies available for the Alternative Baking Company but they are an american company and I have only ever found them once over here.

Edit: the worst part of being veggie or vegan is xmas dinner, psychologically that was the hardest meal I ever ate. Brussel sprouts with pretend bacon bits in them was pretty good though, although I think the bacon bits would make most veg taste nicer. :) )

Back