The rescue collie 6 months on update 18.11.2013

Re: Dog guys a bit of advice

bren":2xxyqlhs said:
konatime":2xxyqlhs said:
Is that an Irish terrier x russell Bren?

Yup! I'm not normally a small dog fan but this ones a real cutie.

The Irish terrier is only a small dog in cc's ;) , his jeans should temper a white bodied russell just reet.

Couple of things I have issues with.

1) You should never hit a dog on it's snout. If you look inside their mouth, the roof is ridged. It's a radiator for the blood flowing into their brains. Dogs don't sweat. They pant to draw air over the ridges in their mouth too cool the flowing blood. Hitting a dog on the snout can damage the blood vessels inside, restricting their ability to cool the blood. If you find it necessary to strike your dog, the hindquarters are pretty tough, and you'll get your point across.

2) Chicken bones splinter and shard more than any other type of bone. I won't give dogs bones, period, but chicken bones are the absolute worst ones to give them.[/quote]

Dont have too many issues r kid...i never used the word hit...a-you did.. and never get raw and cooked bones arse about face ;) same bone, different outcome.

Spike...at the risk of sounding a bit anal...it might be worth swopping out the 5yd retractable lead you purchased for (if you can/not used it) for a fixed length type. They've a tendency to stick at inappropriate times and with say 20ft run out and unretractable accidents do happen (unknown dogs)....it's why any dog trainer worth two bob will use a fixed length..usually longer than needed ;)

raw bones are fine, though probley not good for some smaller breeds. cooked bone will splinter. I sometimes give my dog a raw egg mixed in with her food

The retractable lead is brilliant, I understand what you mean about it sticking, but as he likes to walk in circles around you being able to lift up over your head is brilliant.

spike3 - Fair play to you. Rescuing a dog and seeing it develop, grow and improve as time goes on is one of the most rewarding things ever :D

When we rescued Barney, he was a nervous wreck. We've had him for 18 months now and I think it's fair to say that he's settled ;)

IMAG0103_BURST003_zps81468fe8.jpg

spike3":259tmaft said:
The retractable lead is brilliant, I understand what you mean about it sticking, but as he likes to walk in circles around you being able to lift up over your head is brilliant.

Walking in circles around ya is dictating Spike, only marginal but still dictating (which can grow into something else with over-petting-and collie's ain't exactly shy of useing thier teeth/thier that intelligent they'll throw an agreeable face to lull you into turning your back, thats when your rump gets the chop).

A dog that's schooled to heel off your left peg will soon master how to heel to a front wheel...will soon grow happy via exercise..for every action...

We're working on the idea of him walking on one side, to be fair it took 3 attempts to get him to go for a walk so right now we're happy with that. he knows i'm boss, he lets me remove toys, food from him without so much as a growl.

As has been already said - lots of patience and let him come to you if he's feeling timid. Ours was the same - rescued from an abusive home a couple of years ago. Cowered when we got him so I just sat on the kitchen floor until he was confident enough to come over. Now loves to go cyclin' :D

P1030281.jpg

:D

Back