any advice on avoiding stolen bikes

This thread is beginning to make me think of that old Billy S. quote, "The lady doth protest too much, methinks".

I got arrested for Armed robbery once. I supposedly held up a local post office.
Wasn't me. They obviously knew that too. Got arrested at work during a visit because some fruit machines were being scammed by chavvy scrotes. Taken to the station and put in the cell. But they left the door open, left me with my shoes, bag and some magazines I'd got with me. A mate who was arrested for drunk and disorderly was left with some plastic foot covers and they also took his watch, belt and he was just in his shirt and trousers.
They guy they were looking for was similar to me. They actually asked me to appear in the line up - This was back in the days of £10 to do the line up for the first half hour then £5 for every half hour after :)

I've never had a bike stolen, because every little turdbag scrote in our village is s**t scared if the big grumpy hench bastid and his equally big nasty hench mates. Not sure how I earned this image cos I've never broke the fingers of anyone who genuinely didn't deserve it, but it works for me.

fortunately my situation has been resolved with the police but has left my confidence in second hand bikes in ruins. i have passed up on some great bikes recently as i am probably too inquisitive nowadays i guess i question purchases as if i were interrogating the poor seller needless to say most get pissed off with my questions and dont bother mailing back to me. perhaps a sign that there are more stolen goods out there than we care to admit.

I usually buy mine abroad. In the rare case of a domestic purchase, I always call the cops and ask them to run the frame number.
So far I haven't come across a single stolen bike.

Raging_Bulls":2fnyd8m3 said:
I usually buy mine abroad. In the rare case of a domestic purchase, I always call the cops and ask them to run the frame number.
So far I haven't come across a single stolen bike.
That'll only tell if they've been stolen locally within that particular farce area, so you could still be blithely riding round on stolen bikes. There is no national police database for his sort of thing, though the Home Orifice and Forces all recommend immobilise.com for recording details of valuables, and tey have a special section for bikes.

Chopper1192":34zjz1is said:
That'll only tell if they've been stolen locally within that particular farce area, so you could still be blithely riding round on stolen bikes. There is no national police database for his sort of thing ...

I guess that's one advantage of living in a country that's the size of a napkin. Over here the only database is the national one.

Back