Sitting at the bottom

I have had friends do the RGIT, as we used to call it, and go work as cleaners or cooks offshore because the money was good. Not so much these days but they are going to need lots of new people as they ramp up the production. My brother is even thinking about coming back to Scotland part of the year for one off contracts.

stevet1":3k8486ck said:
pie in ths sky advice time but you seem very creative, have you considered a creative writing or photography course?

My advice; do neither.

They won't pay the bills. :cry:

Sorry if this sounds glib but what about professional dog walking? I can't imagine the overheads are that high, excellent possibilities for networking and gets you out of the house.

I don't imagine the money's great but enough people do it round my neck of the woods so there might be something in it.

Best of luck and wishing you the world of good :)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^what he said

Friends of us have set up a pet business/dog walking home visits etc and have work coming out of their a**e

I can't help career wise, as I'm struggling with the same thing as you.

Sleep wise, I'm somewhat an expert. have you tried a Zinc supplement? Really does wonders for me to achieve a deep, all-night sleep.

Being sleep deprived only makes things that are on our minds even worse. A good nights sleep does wonders.

theproudhighway":11qd18th said:
I can't help career wise, as I'm struggling with the same thing as you.

Sleep wise, I'm somewhat an expert. have you tried a Zinc supplement? Really does wonders for me to achieve a deep, all-night sleep.

Being sleep deprived only makes things that are on our minds even worse. A good nights sleep does wonders.
I've had trouble with insomnia for so long I've been thinking of starting up a luxury soap business.

There's loads of obvious advice, routines, keep the bedroom dark, back off the caffeine late afternoon. Supplements (zinc, magnesium, almost aping the ZMA thing, 5-HTP). Mild / OTC sedatives / hypnotics (the usual fair of largely relaxant / anti-histamine based ones). The things I've often read about, in commentary for others, that have greatly helped them, in my inferred increasing order of effectiveness: zinc, magnesium, 5-HTP, melatonin.

Personally, I'm not looking for something to make me drowsy and put me to sleep - or leave me feeling drowsy or "hung over" in the morning. Ideal, for me, would be something that either helps me maintain sleep for longer than I normally get, or helps me then fall asleep again, once woken.

I've recently started using melatonin, and have to say I'm very positive about it - it's not perfect, but does seem to be helping (my issue isn't really getting off to sleep, more waking up then not being able to get back to sleep). On the plus side, seems to be something that has several all-round benefits and seemingly precious little in the way of side-effects or issues; on the minus side, it's prescription only in the UK - but available comprehensively in the US. The version available as a prescribed med in the UK, is 2mg sustained release - the amount, I'd say, is about spot on, sustained release probably no bad thing.

To be clear, that's not me advocating people suffering with insomnia to rush out and procure melatonin, just pointing out that after trying many approaches and supplements (but never going so far as prescribed drugs for the matter - I just don't want to get involved with serious sedatives / hypnotics - 'cos let's face it, entertaining they may be, but they all come across as a bit weird - and how's that for one of those subtle, obscure, tentative, fast and loose puns, that don't get made every day, eh?), I've read about countless things people have used, and tried many, and have personally found melatonin helpful for me. Reading / research, plus consultation with your GP is always the best way, anyways.

Truth be told, that's something I've often found quite odd, really - US society seems to be, officially at least, very risk-averse, and along with that, FDA regulation, plus the official rules about off-label usage of certain drugs / meds - yet there's some cases where they allow sale and use of various things that are prescription only in the UK, despite the UK not having anything so organised or central as the FDA.

I have a major problem with insomnia :cry:

I was a regular sleeper until about 8 years ago, when i became a mature student, studied full time, worked part-time, a toddler and a newborn baby, so did all my studying at night into the early hours - since i gratuated and started work cant get to sleep until the early hours when i am exhausted :cry:

I can me found most nights sitting out on my decking with a cuppa - pop in if you are in the area ;)

At least theres Retrobike to surf all night :cool:

highlandsflyer":2hkiddk8 said:
Half of the US are hooked on meds, and medical MJ use is totally out of control.

I favour our cautious approach.
I probably wouldn't argue with that, 'cept to point out the oddities that relate. 5-HTP is completely legal and available in the UK, but if "abused" long term, could, probably would have serious repercussions. Any number of vitamins and minerals could cause serious immediate issues if taken above certain thresholds. Yet melatonin appears to have nothing anywhere near those risks, yet is prescription only in the UK.

The only thing I can think of, is that it is apparently used by those lucid dreamer types, so it appears at least to be not due to risk, in at least these specifics, but more down to some people using it for purposes that TPTB don't approve of.

widowmaker":fg58und2 said:
I have a major problem with insomnia :cry:

I was a regular sleeper until about 8 years ago, when i became a mature student, studied full time, worked part-time, a toddler and a newborn baby, so did all my studying at night into the early hours - since i gratuated and started work cant get to sleep until the early hours when i am exhausted :cry:

I can me found most nights sitting out on my decking with a cuppa - pop in if you are in the area ;)

At least theres Retrobike to surf all night :cool:
Oddly enough that sounds like where melatonin is largely medically targeted - "resetting" circadian rhythms, either due to evolved disorders or short term things like jet lag.

Latest posts

Back