Sinister Ridge rides again

at least get some wider bars.
Lower might be good too.

It's not climbing so hot because you don't have enough "of an oar to paddle with".

Wider bars (700mm) and stem dropped by 15mm (on the steerer). Much much better. I am a changed man - reckon even wider bars will be on the way soon.

Also put the noir chainset off my tourer on here too. Just wish I could get the 650Bs in the frame. Talking of which need to find some decent mud tyres in the size as the pacentis aren't so good when it gets sticky - which it has been here for the last three years.

Attachments

• sinisterspooky 002.JPG
    sinisterspooky 002.JPG
    180.6 KB · Views: 655
  • sinisterspooky 001.JPG
    sinisterspooky 001.JPG
    179 KB · Views: 655
Looks good.

I'm a convert to wider bars. I was happy for ages on my 685mm Monkey Bars, then went to 711mm but they didn't feel much different. I'm now on 780mm bars! Which I like, there are a few bits on the local trails that cause me issues so I may lose 10mm either side, but we'll see.

Indeed - I hope you're not an obstetrician.

Went out for a spin this morning. Never had more work to do but the sun is shining and the work can wait. I just can't get my head round the fact that 700mm wide bars now feel narrow. A couple of months ago I would have sneered at myself. 900mm ahoy!

wynne":1r1syryi said:
Indeed - I hope you're not an obstetrician.

Went out for a spin this morning. Never had more work to do but the sun is shining and the work can wait. I just can't get my head round the fact that 700mm wide bars now feel narrow. A couple of months ago I would have sneered at myself. 900mm ahoy!

It is indeed a slippery slope! Both my BFe and SX run 780mm bars (although the BFe ones do a little bit trimmed off because being smaller the proportions looked wrong).

Where I ride, there are only a couple of places where I struggle - one that my bars just don't fit through and the others are just a bit snug.

What I have noticed is that I seem to be wearing grips out faster!

Think I'm going to hold on to the 700mm bars for now as there is definitely a lot of tree clipping potential on my Kent/Surrey rides, but we're moving to North Wales in June so there'll be no stopping me then...

I reckon you're wearing your grips out because you're going faster and having to hold on tighter. Get yourself the Renthal kevlar jobbies - very hard to wear out.

Back