Re: My Ranjeet Grewel inspired Yeti ARC

I think you should stick with it, just do your homework and take your time.

mkozaczek":29tsltbm said:
just do your homework and take your time.

That sounds familiar Nick.

Hang tough mate, it'll come together

Retro Spud":69y7ohsx said:
Eric
To be totally honest I'd love to build an exact replica, and maybe having stickered it up with Ranjeets name is/was ridiculously Naive since I haven't the knowledge nor
the parts to create one straight off the bat :| hence why I never had big enough balls to have Ranjeets name put under the clear coat.

That said a replica would be my ultimate goal and the picture highlights just how far wide of the mark I am... although a NOS set of (supposedly crappy design :oops: ) Campy Bullet Shifters are already on route to replace the Gripshift units,
I'm keen to keep refining my build which is one of the reasons for posting on here....I've a lot to learn and thankfully a massive pool of knowledge to tap in to,

Thanks for the picture its very informative, hopefully the build will improve with time, if not I will retire gracefully, peel of Ranjeets naem and just go with what I've got ....which is, after all still a YETI !

Truth be known,

Martin is alot closer to the mark with his statement below it is actually just an Grey ARC with a few 3DV hanging off it,
and thats already been done alot better than mine at least twice in the last six months, one of them by him !

Genuine thanks to both, Truth often hurts but I'm a keen scholler... maybe I should take some of my own advise ;)
Retro Spud":69y7ohsx said:
If you can't run with the big dogs, Don't p155 up the tall trees !

Nick

Shit, don't be too hard on yourself man. You put his name on the side of the bike, I say make it happen. A full replica build is not out of reach at all.
Its just gonna take looking closely at photos and matching whats there. Timing and patience will be the hardest part.

Can I just say it looks great, far closer than I could be bothered achieving.

If you look at the pic you can pick the different components, it would be good to finish in your build then slowly change them as you find/ afford them that's half the fun. btw tyres are yeti FRO's I think. Purple hyperlite etc

Make sure you ride it! :D

Since my initial build was heading off track it forced a re-think.

Plan A is still the destination where I want this journey to end, but since I want a rider not a garage Queen,
I’m in need of a stop Gap "Plan B" for the coming summer...
So the front end got a little make over and with a set of MK1 RS Judy’s and Ringle Stem, since I want to keep my NOS
Mavic 231CD rims and Ringle Hubs safe (never forgive myself if bust them up before finishing the build)
I’ve raided the parts bin and dug out a spare set of Sunset rims and paired them with Pulstar Hubs….
Not many peoples cup of tea especially since I’ve snowflaked them.

The XTR seat post has temporarily gone to make way for an expendable modern offering and partnered with a mid 90’s Yeti saddle

Now for an installment of frustration…… My lovely Cranks :oops: waited 18yrs to own a pair
Having put the 1st two chainrings on my 3dv Graftons I thought I’d hang em on for a sneek preview and then that’s when the shit hit the fan….. :evil:
they obviously weren’t an original pair, and despite having them for almost 2yrs I never noticed that the axle mount on one is rotated by 45
degrees in relation to the other (massive rookie mistake :facepalm: ) and left me cussing myself... where the hell am I going to find a replacement N/D/S Crank Arm
Any one got any ideas :?:

Having dug out another set of cranks (with a smaller BCD) the only rings I had were 3dv and TBH they look crap,
think I’m going to have to go shopping Tuesday for silver rings… still looking longingly at my 3dv Graftons and thinking if only.

Still love this build even if it’s proving to be far more of a challenge than I ever thought ;)
off to get a bit more thread tapped on my steerer before chopping it down to fit and get them spokes tensioned up next week and then set up the brakes.

Attachments

• Silver Graftons with 3dv Rings.jpg
    Silver Graftons with 3dv Rings.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 486
  • ARC _Silver Graftons.jpg
    ARC _Silver Graftons.jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 486
  • 3DV Graftons rear.jpg
    3DV Graftons rear.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 486
  • 3DV graftons.jpg
    3DV graftons.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 486
  • ARC Front.jpg
    ARC Front.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 486
  • ARC _3dv Graftons.jpg
    ARC _3dv Graftons.jpg
    286 KB · Views: 486

thats awesome mate put them purple graftons back on they looked so much better :D all you need is to fix the headset by cutting the steer down or adding spacers and adding some nice black shock boots job done, awesome :cool:

I've got a set of the very shifters in the ad above if you'd like them.

And I will echo the others--- do it how you want it for a normal ARC, but don't get discouraged by a long search and minor details becoming major derails for a replica build. You made a ton of progress so far!

racer x":9v1dnvz3 said:
thats awesome mate put them purple graftons back on they looked so much better :D

Would love to keep them on but have one major show stopping problem
and no obvious way to fix it

Attachments

• 3DV Graftons rear.jpg
    3DV Graftons rear.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 407

Latest posts

Back