26.8 Seatpost in a 99 Zaskar?

keitht

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Currently building a 99 Zaskar, the HOT Mango one..last of the USA built ones, at least it says so on the frame.

Its got a nasty cheap 27.0 post, which I believe is the correct size, but I have a really nice Kore Elite post thats 26.8....am I being foolish thinking that 0.2 won't make any difference.

Thanks

Keith

You'll run the risk of damaging the frame, because you'll need to clamp the post up too tight in order to stop it slipping.

You could make a shim out of a drinks can, but personally I'd sell the KORE post and look out for one in 27.0.

Barneyballbags":3pvg16go said:
You'll run the risk of damaging the frame, because you'll need to clamp the post up too tight in order to stop it slipping.

You could make a shim out of a drinks can, but personally I'd sell the KORE post and look out for one in 27.0.

Thank you ....sort of think i knew the answer just didn't want to sell the Kore...
Ah well....any sugestions for a period GT suitable alternative...?

So far I have a CK headset, a set of Manitou MRD Mars forks, 221s on LX ( probably uprade these )
Kore or Azonic stem, ClubRoost or Azonic risers, or maybe some RF straight bars.
WTB SST-K, Avid SLs or Dia-compe VC767.
XT m737/9 groupset...though may change this to m750.

Tyres, grips, grips etc will most likely be modern stuff.

keitht":289m3get said:
Barneyballbags":289m3get said:

Thank you ....sort of think i knew the answer just didn't want to sell the Kore...

Well, in that case, make a shim from a Coke can (other brands are available) with a nicely formed lip and about 100mm long, bond it in place and it'll last for years and not do the least bit of damage to the frame. I've been using a 27mm post in a 27.2mm seat tube for the last three years and never even think about it being there.

Barneyballbags":1bzacpmr said:

So effectively 0.1 of a mm[about 100 microns] is too large :?
I think not,this isnt precision engineering.

dyna-ti":18odkztj said:
Barneyballbags":18odkztj said:

So effectively 0.1 of a mm[about 100 microns] is too large :?
I think not,this isnt precision engineering.
But, it's actually 0.2mm on diameter (or .008") which, for this application, is far too much clearance in my opinion.
Make a shim.........

It should actually be a 27.2 post in a zaskar frame from 99, in fact some of those frames had such terrible build quality in and around the seat tube clamp area even the correct size appeared loose on some leading to caratti importing some odd 27.4 posts as warranty items
The factory build spec post for that bike was a cheapo black kalloy post although some came through from the factory with the zaskar le spec Thomson elite one

Back