carlton 10

LOL see above re. tired - you are right. Have a search and try and find out the thickness of 531 - it might be a start.

Richard

I'll get my nightgown ......

The link in my signature will take you to my TEN. The Crespera lugs on yours indicate post '67. Tubing is likely to be "Truwell" as i believe 531 wasn't introduced until post '73. I don't think that 531 had wrapover seat stays

Dave

Good way of finding out if it is 531.
Take frame to a good LBS. They should have a gauge to measure tubing size.It is a chamfered tube that goes inside the seat tube.This tube has sizes on it.

Bear in mind, double butted and plain gauge may well be different diameter.

bagpuss":3kf7sq11 said:
Good way of finding out if it is 531.
Take frame to a good LBS. They should have a gauge to measure tubing size.It is a chamfered tube that goes inside the seat tube.This tube has sizes on it.

Bear in mind, double butted and plain gauge may well be different diameter.
Neither of my 1970 or 71 catalogues state type of tubing used.

The internal diameter of the seat tube is probably 26.2mm which proves it is the usual mass produced frame with Raleigh seamed cheap heavy tubing, in frame building manuals of the time often called pipe. If you look down the seat tube you may be able to see the weld lines going down the tube. By the time this was made Raleigh were making about 50000 a year in various names.

As far as Im aware later '10s'were 531, it was described as such in the catalogues of 73/74. Cant say for sure about the earlier incarnations.

Ok thanks everyone seems its just a basic steel Carlton frame then, nothing to get excited about, on the upside I won't feel guilty if I turn it into a fixie then.

Sorry if it offends anyone.

twiz46":13m9xlo1 said:
Ok thanks everyone seems its just a basic steel Carlton frame then, nothing to get excited about, on the upside I won't feel guilty if I turn it into a fixie then.

Sorry if it offends anyone.

:facepalm:

Back