7 speed cassettes - any lightweight top end ones ever ?

What you need to do is get a good quality bolted SRAM cassette and rebuild it with 7 speed spacers

Rampage":3o6257c6 said:
cce":3o6257c6 said:
Spacing will be wrong if you do that.

7 & 8 speed work together don't they?

Only by utilising the float in the top jockey wheel. If you cut one sprocket off an 8 speed cassette it'll be slightly narrower than a 7.

gtRTSdh":1oj0oltu said:
legrandefromage":1oj0oltu said:
And 7spd is 5mm with 8spd 4.8mm - what's 0.2mm between friends?

1.4mm across the block. . . Quite a bit in terms of indexing

not according to my 8spd/ thumbie combination its not - now rounding about year 5 in its current guise

legrandefromage":2r6f26ij said:
gtRTSdh":2r6f26ij said:
legrandefromage":2r6f26ij said:
And 7spd is 5mm with 8spd 4.8mm - what's 0.2mm between friends?

1.4mm across the block. . . Quite a bit in terms of indexing

not according to my 8spd/ thumbie combination its not - now rounding about year 5 in its current guise

1.2mm across the block, you don't count the first cog, only 6 shifts. Thumbies work fine because once you've used the float you also have the inaccurate indexing that help out.
How do ratchet, RF/RF+ based indexing fair, I never did try. Still just run an 8 SPD shifter, the stops will lock it out.

I ran 8s road sti on a 7s block for a while. You could get every great but a couple were noisy.

12 - 28 XTR M900 (Q? type) take out the 13 tooth cog and voila a 7 speed lightweight 12 - 28 cassette with usavel ratios. Admittedly only if your using non compact rings (same for an M950 11 - 30 remove the 11t and you ahve the older 13 - 30 "G" 7 speed cassette ratios.

getting an 11 - 28 XT M737 and removing the 28 would be neigh on impossible as the 24 & 28 T share the same alloy tab they are pinned into. (so it would be remove the 11t cog as per xtr)

after that its SRP Tioga and Goltec TI cassettes or mix and match SRAM as suggested.

Back