The rescue collie 6 months on update 18.11.2013

Re: Dog guys a bit of advice

highlandsflyer":r4oa2a8i said:
Never put a dog with a kid. Golden rules.

depends on the situation, my daughter breast feed on my lab. though not intentionaly. :shock:

Indeed, that photo was taken after an ohmygod! type gasp!
Not an intended situation by any means, but it warmed our hearts and showed us that the dog is not an issue. She has settled in perfectly.
(Of course young, heavy handed child IS the issue)

Fair play to you spike,

if i were to get another dog it would be a border collie, cleverest and best dog in the world i think.

The exercise things is no joke, they are bred as a working dog and boy can they run tirelessly . I have heard of border collies getting quite destructive if they dont get the exercise they need.

I had a border collie labrador cross. He was the most beautiful clever dog with the gentlest temperament. I taught him to run with the bike and we would cover 10-15 miles pretty much daily for a time and he easily could have done double that i reckon.

keep us updated

Charlieboy28":3uv89t6w said:
Fair play to you spike,

if i were to get another dog it would be a border collie, cleverest and best dog in the world i think.

The exercise things is no joke, they are bred as a working dog and boy can they run tirelessly . I have heard of border collies getting quite destructive if they dont get the exercise they need.

I had a border collie labrador cross. He was the most beautiful clever dog with the gentlest temperament. I taught him to run with the bike and we would cover 10-15 miles pretty much daily for a time and he easily could have done double that i reckon.

keep us updated

Spot on! Our Border Collie is a great dog and very intelligent. Sits by the food bowl when it's time for food, sits on the doormat when she needs the toilet. When I hide the ball at night (always in a different spot) She knows where it is and sits by where ever I hid it when she wants to play the next day, and opens door too, as well as so many humorous things.

She's terrified of fireworks and thunder, so she gets her own little spot she likes in the pantry with a second bed.

I agree with the comment above about waiting a bit longer before taking him to the vets. Nice one, Spike, not many people would have stepped up and took the dog in. You've just made yourself one hell of a friend.

All the best to you both.

lumos2000":11cgv19o said:
spike3":11cgv19o said:
My_Teenage_Self":11cgv19o said:
Good for you.
Report back, often. This will take time, and we're here to help!

Ok well he's looking brighter, but tomorrow he's off to the vets, kennel cough, first vaccination, general health check and microchip. He'll love me. :mrgreen:

popped a quilt in the cage, he looks happier on it.

just a thought, would it be better to let him settle in befour taking him somewhere and sticking needles in him, could be all too much all in one go. ask the vet and see what they advise. cheek for a microchip first. the needle is quite large and can leave the dog a little sore

agree, i was concerned about the pain for him however, he needs the vacs though as we live in a very doggy area. maybe we'll wait with the microchip

Once the dogs settled in get yourself a 10ft lead and find a car park, that way you can decide how much lead to allow and begin trainingg the dog to stick close to a bike (by dint of figure of 8's and multiple irregular movements/a collie will soon tipple that not broaching the lead allowance is where the comfort zone is-especially if you marry it to pleasing words and the feed to come straight after). Once a dogs had a run and ready for a nose bag they'll let you feed them by hand (you can correct a snatch with a flick of a finger on it's snozzle), sublimanilly (sp) teaching them your the food master general and collisions of teeth and skin are a big no-no. Drop a thimble full of apple cider vinegar in it's drink every third day and run a raw chicken wing through it every fortnight (germs-stomach). Blanket over cage ;)

Charlieboy28":2hycujjl said:
Fair play to you spike,

keep us updated

Totally agree - we have a Welsh BC (as well as a Welsh Working Cocker and Welsh Cardigan Corgi) although it is worth remembering that if you are unable to take them out for a walk that 15-30 minutes of mental stimulation is good at tiring them out as well. Training them (basic commands first obviously) gives them something to think about and is just as important for a BC as the physical exercise.

bren":2p00z4he said:
Indeed, that photo was taken after an ohmygod! type gasp!
Not an intended situation by any means, but it warmed our hearts and showed us that the dog is not an issue. She has settled in perfectly.
(Of course young, heavy handed child IS the issue)

I was only messing. it was actually a golden rule of photography, because any dog will out cute a kid!

bren said:
D7A781CA-6B5D-443C-99C8-7BA8775B4D22-4854-0000016E01D97D1B.jpg

Is that an Irish terrier x russell Bren?

Back