The rescue collie 6 months on update 18.11.2013

Re: Dog guys a bit of advice

Good news, he's out the cage and his tail is half up and his ears are up. anyway he's left his cage, not far I admit but he's out. And he wolfed down a decent meal of Baxters puppy. Pic

blakeday1_zps4d7a907e.jpg

Time and patience is what's needed and it sounds like you have an abundance of the second. Good luck with it, i don't know how i managed without a dog for so long, wouldn't be without one know.

a little love and you'll have a friend for life, do you intend to keep him? good on you for stepping in in the first place.

Good for you. Seriously, that dog will give you more than you can ever imagine.

As has been said, leave him be. Gentle voices, kneel next to him, but don't be too affectionate. He'll come to you when he's ready. Touching the head can be seen as dominating, so maybe, just offer him the back of your hand to sniff (always a good way to greet a dog IMO).

The cage; these can be amazing for dogs. Don't lock him in, but cover it in a blanket so he has a 'cave' it's his space, and should have his smells (not urine/faeces) all over it. give him an old blanket/duvet and don't ever pull him out of it against his will. it's his safe space. you can sit next to it and talk to him, offering him your hand to sniff.

Report back, often. This will take time, and we're here to help!

My_Teenage_Self":28i1vazt said:
Gentle voices, kneel next to him, but don't be too affectionate. He'll come to you when he's ready. Touching the head can be seen as dominating, so maybe, just offer him the back of your hand to sniff (always a good way to greet a dog IMO).
cover it in a blanket so he has a 'cave' it's his space, and should have his smells (not urine/faeces) all over it. give him an old blanket/duvet and don't ever pull him out of it against his will. it's his safe space. you can sit next to it and talk to him, offering him your hand to sniff.

+1 for that back of the hand for a sniff and don't try to stroke from above approach him from his level...

My_Teenage_Self":36btpr8t said:
Good for you.

Ok well he's looking brighter, but tomorrow he's off to the vets, kennel cough, first vaccination, general health check and microchip. He'll love me. :mrgreen:

popped a quilt in the cage, he looks happier on it.

Nice work, you're doing all the right things and all the advice on here is spot on.
We rescued an Irish x jack Russell 6 weeks ago. Similar first day, but its like she's always been here now.
We had no idea if she was cat friendly (we have 2) or OK with young kids, but figured she was young enough to be quickly retrained if there were any issues.
Well we quickly got our answer. She just wanted to play with the cats, they weren't impressed, but got used to it within a day or two.
And the kids thing? Well after 3 weeks of sleeping in her cage, we found her one morning tucked up in our daughters bed!
D7A781CA-6B5D-443C-99C8-7BA8775B4D22-4854-0000016E01D97D1B.jpg

You're going to have years of fun with yours. :)

spike3":1ocovygj said:
My_Teenage_Self":1ocovygj said:
Good for you.

Ok well he's looking brighter, but tomorrow he's off to the vets, kennel cough, first vaccination, general health check and microchip. He'll love me. :mrgreen:

popped a quilt in the cage, he looks happier on it.

just a thought, would it be better to let him settle in befour taking him somewhere and sticking needles in him, could be all too much all in one go. ask the vet and see what they advise. cheek for a microchip first. the needle is quite large and can leave the dog a little sore

Back