Dawes One Track - the Edge pretender Updated pics

SIMONFREESE

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
So this is what £20 gets you:

dawes_zps122b8e84.jpg

Just a quick phone pic to get things going, the Maxxis tyres were great in the snow, but very slow in the dry!

Bought as a work bike, I am going to make a few alterations. The handlebars have to go, and a shorter stem, not many options with 22.2mm.

Anyone out there got any info on these? It's pretty low end cromoly but the frame has some nice touches.

Re: Dawes One Track

I got a shorter stem for this, but couldn't shift the bolt. So it's in the LBS, I have some straight bars, new chain and deore lx rear mech to go on when it gets back, hopefully at the end of the week....

I take it no-one slummed it and owned one of these in the past?

Glad to see you got yourself a nice little project mate :D

It's all I need, got too many projects, at least this one I can do without remortgaging!

I got a call from the LBS today, they can't move the bolt so reckon they can get the stem out by hacking through, I said that sounds fine but I have my suspicions that the quill is going to be stuck in the fork, they reckon that sawing through should free it up.

I took the call early afternoon, they said they would get on with it straight away but I didn't hear back from them this afternoon so I'm guessing it wasn't straight forward!

I seem to attract these sort of problems, I have a 501 Raleigh from the 80's, got the bolt out but the stem won't move, despite various acts of sustained violence, I came off worse than the stem, which stayed put throughout...

I've spent some enjoyable time looking at the 1994 Dawes Catalogue, available on this very site:

viewtopic.php?t=94770

So it turns out that the One Track was the entry level model, with Alivio groupset and tig welded 4130 cromo frame. It appears to be a budget imitation of their rather lovely Edge range, and colour scheme straight from the Edge Extra.

Although it is a nice thing to see the bike in context, it has got me hankering after a fillet brazed Edge now, there is something about British Steel frames that really appeals to me. So my budget purchase could potentially lead on to more costly projects in the future!

I got a call from the LBS, BikeBase in Southend on Sea, to say that they had got the stem out, apparantly it was a tough job. I'm lucky to have a shop that doesn't mind taking on jobs like this as I could understand why a lot of places would just turn me away for an easy life. Since I have had the bike back I have fitted the new stem and bars, and some new grips. Now all I need to do is clean her up, fit the Deore LX mech (the Alivio mech has a very lazy spring and is generally ready for retirement) and take some photos!

Re: Dawes One Track - the Edge pretender

It's a lot later model than I'm used to, but I had a '90 raw nerve BITD and I still hanker after another. It was a brazed lugged frame, same as its contemporary edge big brother (same bike basically but dx instead of xt~ before xtr came out)
Great bikes. Very underrated in their day; everyone wanted TIG welded American frames at the time. Nice to see them appreciated now.
Enjoy it. I guarantee the only only issues you will have will be with the cheap kit attached to it. Do what we did back then: as stuff wears out, fit better parts. You'll end up with a bargain performer.

Re: Dawes One Track - the Edge pretender

Thanks for the info Bren. Your Raw Nerve sounds nice! Really looking forward to getting this complete and riding it, should be a good ride for very little money...

Back