Weight Watching - Worthwhile Worrying?

Yes, I weigh 142.8 lbs and 6'3" so 32 lb bike makes up less than 20% of my 'package' hence the initial musings on the subject.

The History Man":k1dv5d7a said:
Yes, I weigh 142.8 lbs and 6'3" so 32 lb bike makes up less than 20% of my 'package' hence the initial musings on the subject.

What like 10 stone!!! I am 6 3"/4" and weight nearer 16stone!!

Should have put my reading glasses on! 242 lbs (17st2lb) that's in normal attire.

I think this has a lot to do with how people describe the ride of a bike.

Back when I was cycling Adroits/Attitudes fully rigid (I could never feel a difference) I never felt they were harsh. I did use large volume tyres, and was out of the saddle a lot of the time.

I was, at my original 6' 3 to 4", around 14 stone.

Were I 9 stone I am sure I might have a different opinion.

At my now 16 odd stone I find an old Clockwork very compliant. I remember feeling them as very taught back when they were the bike to own.

The Al Pulse I am riding a lot now feels just right as a hardtail, and the steel Jamis Dragon feels just as stiff. I can feel flex in the frames when out of the saddle but I have the Klein single geared so can't really get down to silly ratios for imposing flex.

The Klein is around 22/23lbs at the moment, with a lot of weighty parts. The Dragon is hovering around 25.

The only time I notice the weight is lifting them into the wagon.

^^^ Very good point. Having been at the narrow end of 10 Stone, (and sub 10 at times) I know I can;

a. Get away with light bits
b. Be thrown around by a heavy bike
c. feel more in control of a light bike, which others may see as 'skittish'

a 30lb bike for me is the equivalent (as a bike/body weight ratio) as a 45lb+ bike for Wookie & Highlandsflyer. Would most of you that weigh 15st+ be happy riding bike that heavy?

I'm 6'1, 13 stone, and I don't want to go near a bike more than 25lb thanks. It becomes noticeable for me then. My bikes are all between 23.5 and 25lb. I'd like to go lighter, but it starts to get silly expensive then. I admit, my wife's bike is 27lb, and she weighs a fair bit less than me. This is because she is only starting to cycle, and it's at least half the weight of her old BSO she had. If she takes to it, I can justify the added expense of getting her a lighter bike.

going back to 1st post. you will take water, rucksack etc, regardless if the bike weighs 10 kg or 15 kg.

if the route you are riding has any inclines, then you will benefit by hauling less weight up hill - either you will use less energy to go at same speed or go faster for same energy.

"Benefit" not in fitness terms as easier with a lighter bike. I suppose if your competing this would make sense but how many do?

marker":iaisrwr7 said:
The weight of the rider is not relevant

The mass of the rider still has to be accelerated and propelled to the top of a hill, regardless of the weight of the bike.
Sure, anybody will feel the advantage of lugging 1kg less around - but perhaps losing it on the rider has other advantages too (like fitness).

We've all been whipped on occasion by a fit person on a heavier bike. In the end only the rider can produce power, the bike is always only dead weight.

Back