Hello from NZ

aye, it's a beauty alright!!

now, as an ex mechanic and retro racer from the 80s please trust me on this:

get an iscaselle / turbo/ rolls saddle on that post - sling it wayyyy back on the cradle;
get a pair of nice mavic red label gp4/ GL330/ ssc rims; a pair of vittoria rallye or continental
gum wall tubs for that late 70s/80s look; a pair of black jockey wheels
for that rear mech (although i've a feeling that the last production run of the super record
featured the soon to arrive c-record jockey wheels as standard); yellow benotto tape is a MUST, if you
can find it..

that will make this gorgeous bike a real BLINDER!!

6967185015_02e0f46233_z.jpg

IMG_1055.jpg

:cool:

PANZR":22qubl33 said:
road riding is very risky with appalling conditions
Why's that? The drivers?

PANZR":22qubl33 said:
Just remember the seasons are reversed to the UK, so if you plan on visiting in July, be prepared for some rubbish and very cold weather, especially in the south
Better than northern England according to various climate charts I have looked at, and even down in Dunedin and Invercargill the summers seem quite warm and sunny compared to here. People do seem to forget that the UK is pretty miserable all year round!

Hey (Kia ora ;)) welcome to the forum,
Did you get the look from CYCO on Ponsonby road? They were my local bike shop when i lived in Auckland (2007-2011)
I lived in Grey Lynn and worked at the top of college hill.
Where abouts are you based in Auckland?
I found some of the roads to be amazing - very hilly with spectacular scenery (rode all over Waiheke Island once!)
BUT the drivers were really crap generally, possibly due to the fact that they didn't have compulsory insurance
meant they didn't really care too much about cyclists...
I didn't like the compulsory helmet wearing either (although i do wear one most of the time).
There's a lot of roadies over there with seriously nice bikes and a lot of testosterone flying around :evil:
Personally i never felt and home in NZ and returned to the UK (glad to be back although the weather is shite)
but it's good to see the weather has been good for you (we used to get attacked by mozzies all the time!) :D
Have fun and watch out on Tamaki Drive :cool:

lae":1ww1ig0p said:
PANZR":1ww1ig0p said:
road riding is very risky with appalling conditions
Why's that? The drivers?

Yes, drivers but, especially the physical condition of the roads and as a cycle courier I experience the worst of it everyday

The roads are cracked and broken everywhere from earthquakes, there is road works everywhere from damaged storm water pipes and underground infrastucture that is being repaired
This town was never cycle friendly in the first place and even less so now
For example, there are ludicrously large signs on the road that warn motorists of merging cyclists...yet they put the signs smack-bang in the middle of cycle lanes so in many cases the only reason a cyclist needs to veer into a car lane is to avoid the very sign that is supposed to help keep the cyclist safe...I can't work out the logic behind that one

I got my look from hot cycles in st heliers ,not far from me in ellerslie and i go on their group rides which are a nice fast pace with plenty of hills to race up. I find the drivers pretty good myself ,it is some of the other cyclists that worry me - you would think some of them never drove themselves..i wasnt too keen on the helmet but you get used to it and i dont want to be the one who gets knocked off my bike or whatever and bangs my head while my helmet is sitting at home..ah yes tamaki drive - i was riding along there not so long ago on the left hand side of the ride and approaching a cyclist also riding on the left hand side of the road - except she was riding towards me.. A tourist i hope...

As for my raleigh - i am liking the brooks ,first one i have owned plus i have blown my bike budget for this year and will only be spending it on necessary items.. One of which may be a new freewheel as i would like a 7 speed if it will fit..the 6 speed i have on now is causing the chain to slip on the 3rd sprocket which in actual fact looks off centre between the 2nd and 4th sprockets - it looks closer to the 4th sprocket. It was fine when i started riding it and has now just started happening - the chain and freewheel are both NOS regina so no wear there.. I will post a pic so you can have a look and tell me what you think..

Mark

Latest posts

Back