Can I service an XT 7spd freehub, if so how???

RockiMtn

Gold Trader
Rocky Mountain Fan
Feedback
View
I've stripped down an XT m732 7-speed rear hub assembly and managed to get the freehub off. But I don't see a way I can get at the innards.

Can it be opened up to get at the bearings and if so how is that done. Or is this a replacement component only?

Looking at the Park Tools website, it shows I can pull a seal off the engagement side, but not sure if that's a later model Shimano freehub and I can do the same with what I have.

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... ub-service

frhub_seal.jpg

Attachments

• DSC03246.JPG
    DSC03246.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 484
  • DSC03248.JPG
    DSC03248.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 484
Personally i tend to remove that rear rubber seal and see how it looks. if really gunky, dry, dirty. i remove the front metal dust seal (that park recommend not to, if you can do it, why not) then blast penetrating oil in, leave an hour or so, do it again hope that most of the filth works it's way out with the thin oil.
If it looks fairly clean then dribble in some thin-ish oil, like chainsaw oil or anything similar. spin it round to work it in, repeat.

that metal seal.....I remove and replace these as a routine easily enough and if so, that will give you access to be able to dribble oil in down the side of that inner bearing cone. i believe they can be removed with a special tool but best left alone. re-install everything and carry on.

problem is I can't seem to be able to easily get that rear seal out. the space is tight and i'm nervous about trashing it. so I wasn't sure if I could. and I don't have whatever that tool is that's shown on the Park page. :LOL: any tips on how to get it out?

the front seal seems to be plastic on this freehub, or am I mistake??? how do I go about getting that out? It spins around and at first I thought it unscrews out but after a few turns it didn't look to be doing anything.

The rear seal is quite a tough unit. i use a pick, a straight version of the hooked one in the picture. other than that a small flat bladed screwdriver should work, it's really rubberised so you wont hurt it, it will go back in.

the front seal is better removed as level as possible. get a flat blade screwdriver under it and gently/firmly lever up, then 180 degrees other side as though you are rocking it up the lockring thread. you have to persevere but it should come out. some just 'pop' out, other are stubborn little buggers.
once out a cotton bud is all most perfectly designed for cleaning round the bearing race, dowsed in white spirit. ;)

/\ damn! I was going to say they dont come apart..........

I wish I'd kept all those trashed freehub bodies now.

well this didn't work out for me too well. i pried the seal out as best i could but it has become hard and brittle and cracked to pieces in two spots. can i get replacement seals or is this done and i should my losses and pick up a replacement freehub? and if i get a replacement, can i make do with an STX-RC one as that seems to be the only one readily available. Is it compatible and same quality as the XT m732 i'd be replacing?

Tommy":ogiko3ki said:
you can loose the bearing cup wit a piece of metal

p4pb1394522.jpg

can you please elaborate? where do you get an appropriate piece of metal to fit and how exactly do you do it?

Attachments

• DSC03269.JPG
    DSC03269.JPG
    30 KB · Views: 403
Back