Olympic Gold, US Open, Wimbledon and now the US Open Again!

Re: Andy Murray

Not sure what celebration of Andy Murray's achievements you missed in the posts above or why you reduced it to lazy Scottish/English but each to their own.

That said, if we are being accurate then Andy Murray hasn't won 1 in 6 major competitions but 1 in 6 major finals out of the roughly 30 he's played. Running with your football comparison, there's been a total of 19 World Cups and 14 European Championships with England, somehow, winning one at home. Apart from not getting to Finals, not sure how that's so different (apart of course from them being incomparable sports over a widely different time period).

I look forward to seeing if Andy Murray can sustain his very high level of achievement in the coming months.

You would have to have a short attention span to imagine I was concerned with playing the Scots/English card.

I was disgusted at the way Murray was accused of being anti English merely because he supports his home nation in the football.

Delighted British tennis has been revived with success in the women's game as well as the men's. British tennis has a good future as far as I can see.

I did not use the Scots national football team for my comparison for obvious reasons! It was indeed rather inaccurate, but let us not do down what Andy has achieved by consistently featuring in the top four for many years now! ;)

doesn't matter how good he is, he's still a miserable ****er, and I only begrudgingly want him to win because he's British. I guess though being Scottish, 1 out of 6 WC appearances in the football is an achievement ;) :twisted:

Pyro Tim":3l5woaoi said:
doesn't matter how good he is, he's still a miserable ****er, and I only begrudgingly want him to win because he's British. I guess though being Scottish, 1 out of 6 WC appearances in the football is an achievement ;) :twisted:

We are but small in number, but we do play above our weight. In all things, perhaps least in sport.

highlandsflyer":204rckmf said:
You would have to have a short attention span to imagine I was concerned with playing the Scots/English card.

Apologies for my misunderstanding the following, but it certainly looked that way.

highlandsflyer":204rckmf said:
I reckon the England team would be quite happy to win 1 in 6 of the major competitions, rather than one in ninety odd.

ededwards":r7ai50nn said:
highlandsflyer":r7ai50nn said:

Apologies for my misunderstanding the following, but it certainly looked that way.

I reckon the England team would be quite happy to win 1 in 6 of the major competitions, rather than one in ninety odd.

I still cannot fathom how comparing a tennis player who happens to be Scots, who plays for Britain, to the England national football team is somehow setting up some Scotland/England rivalry crap.

If I had banged on about Tim Henman, suggesting he was a bit shit compared to Murray, and that was somehow related to his nationality, I could understand.

I was merely pointing out most of us would be delighted if England were up there in the last four/two of most of the major competitions.

Like Murray I am an England fan, very much so. Until Scotland are ejected from every qualification/competition I support them both.

This gives me plenty of scope to focus on England of course.

I am not proud of Murray because he is Scots. I am just happy to see a sport I love gaining a new impetus.

I was behind Henman, Rusedski for the same reasons, and am thrilled to note the progress of Watson and Robson.

Being married to an English lass and producing kids who are very happy being able to claim the haggis as well as the jellied eel you would never catch me going down that nationalistic road.

I would possibly have used the Scotland team for the comparison if they had ever won anything!

As far as being 'lazy', it is not a huge effort to enquire as to what an author meant before stating your view, and then re-iterating that view in the face of a firm denial.

It certainly did not look that way! Except to blinkered eyes.

Murray is already a winner.

It is the mentality of the British public that is in question.

I wonder why I referred to the 'British' public if I was concerned with the England/Scotland angle?

The British public tend to do down everything successful. Look at all the Wiggo bashers.

This site is not representative of the general public really is it?

Hopefully he'll win the big W this year. Not because I think he needs to, but because of the narrow-minded backlash he'll receive if he doesn't. In that respect, Lendl is probably the best coach he could have.

It may be years before the stars align for the W. win, but he is certainly moving in the right direction if he can stave off the injuries.

Pyro, I have no issue with you not liking the guy, but you cannot deny it is great for British sport to have a true contender.

Also, he may grow on you, as I have to admit Steve Davis did.

Back