Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
The Retrobike RetroRoadRide Series 2013

Round 2: Peak District ~ Three Shires Road Ride

Cat+and+Fiddle.png

:: Date: Sunday 5th May 2013

:: Distance/time: 50 - 60 miles with a stop for food at a pub or café as the group prefers. Several short cut options available in case of mechanicals/weather.

:: Meeting at: Cat and Fiddle Inn, A537 - Cheshire. Please arrive by 10.00 a.m. for a 10:30 a.m. start.

:: Directions: Postcode: SK11 0AR (this postcode is very approximate).
The Cat and Fiddle Inn is situated at the highest point of the A537 road between Macclesfield and Buxton. Map here: --> http://goo.gl/maps/LR0UR
There is parking in the lay-by opposite as well as at the nearby Derbyshire Bridge if this is busy --> http://goo.gl/maps/i4GiR
(Parking at the pub is for patrons only. We will however be visiting before and after the ride so we may be able to park there for the day)

:: Terrain: Quiet country lanes, with a decent bit of climbing thrown in.

:: Route: Starting at an altitude of 515m (1689ft) unsurprisingly the first few miles take in a long descent into Wildboarclough. Then we cross the River Dane into Staffordshire taking in the the climbs of Gun Hill and Roach End. Then we'll cross onto Morridge and descend on open moorland roads to Hulme End. Quiet White Peak lanes will take us to Longnor for a choice of pubs and tea rooms.
After refreshments we'll ride quiet winding lanes through the villages of Earl Sterndale, Monyash, Flagg and Chelmorton before a visit to the Victorian Spa town of Buxton in Derbyshire.
Next there's a climb of the aptly named Long Hill and a fast descent into the Goyt Valley. The ride will culminate in a steady climb back up to the ride's high point at the Cat and Fiddle for a bit of food and drink.

The ride will be taken at a reasonable gentle pace and there are several short cut and bail out options should they be required.
Be aware that there are a few short steep climbs here and there so perhaps that 42-23 bottom gear might make things a bit harsh on your knees.

If you fancy it, get signed up.

[Note that points will be awarded across the Road Series].

:: NO HELMET, NO RIDE

My work's gone a bit haywire so I expect I'll be scrabbling for time to get a long tester ride in and umming over fitness right up until the day before, as per! :oops:

gonna try and attend this, ive no retro road bike tho, just a modernish felt thats currently being built up

I hope to make this but the Little Boss arrives back from The Philippines the following day at 6 a.m. and the prospect of a Hereford – Buxton – Hereford (I’ll have to return home to drop off the bike as no room for bike and luggage in our little car) – London drive doesn’t particularly appeal.

Still, I’ve got a month to come up with a workable solution.

ededwards":3j2pju39 said:
I hope to make this but the Little Boss arrives back from The Philippines the following day at 6 a.m. and the prospect of a Hereford – Buxton – Hereford (I’ll have to return home to drop off the bike as no room for bike and luggage in our little car) – London drive doesn’t particularly appeal.

Still, I’ve got a month to come up with a workable solution.

If you have roof-bars I've got a bike rack you can have for a very reasonable fee ;)

Hello there, I'm in for this. Road bike just rebuilt and it rides like a twitchy dream!
If there's any chance of scrounging a lift of anyone from either Macclesfield or Buxton railway station I'd really appreciate it. First train gets to both places at about ten to ten.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back