shimano freehub length vs model info

Tim Doland

Dirt Disciple
I have asked lots of questions and seem to get muddled answers. I would like to know what freehub spline lengths are available from Shimano. My current free hub is a 7 speed and the spline length is 32.9 km from the flange to the right end. I am looking for one which is about 37.5 km long. The mount style must match the 10 point "clover" on most Shimano hubs. Please include the Shimano model number. Thanks, Tim D.

yep, a 37.5km long freehub would have a few more than 7 sprockets :LOL:

Assuming you are talking about hyperglide (HG) freehubs, then they're only made in two sizes - 7 speed, and 8/9/10 speed.

That said, I think the new shimano 11 speed hubs have a different freehub body, and there was one series of shimano hubs a few years ago (dura ace 7700 and ultegra 6700 I think) that used different splines and aren't compatible with any other cassettes without some modification.

Foz you are right 7700 used different splines I think and only took Dura ace cassettes. I am sure I read tis on Sheldon Brown.

NOW I can give more info about what I am doing! The reason the actual length is important is, currently I am running 9 Miche Shimano cogs (10 speed spacers, 2.1 mm thick, with 1.7 mm Miche 10 speed cassette, minus 1cog). They fit the 32.9mm long hub but a full 10 speeds would be better! That's why the 36.7 mm length is needed. So, what is the actual length of the 8/9/10 free hub body you speak of. As I understand, the Shimano 10 speed cassettes use "spider" cluster cogs. Miche Shimano cogs are individual, 1.7mm thick and the final (largest tooth count) is dished, not using a spacer. That is how I came to the 36.7mm length. I now have almost 1000 miles on the Miche cogs with very little signs of wear. The 10 speed bar-end Campy shifters (in friction mode) and Campy Chorus derailleure work beautifully! Got any information on the freehub length?

Forgot again, yes it is a HG free hub. I also rechecked my cassette stack height and it comes out to 36.75mm. If I have to add a spacer to tighten things up, that won't' be a problem. Oh, I'm using a standard 10 speed chain now. An Ultra narrow Campy chain will work better with the smaller cogs. Planned cog count is: 12/13/15/17/19/21/23/25/27/29t. Front chain wheels are Campy Chorus 39/53t.Thanks again guys, Tim

Back