Cassette spacers 8speed on 9 speed hub

Antfox

Retro Guru
Just gone to fit my cassette to my 8 speed wheels and its a 9 speed hub :(

Can I get a spacer to allow this to fit ?

Gutted as the wheels were going on the bike today.

Cheers

Ant

Something else is wrong then. Sure it isn't a 9s cassette with bits missing?

Oooooo !

Balls it could be the answer ! Ok I need an 8 speed cassette then as I have 8 speed xt mech

Antfox":2f225dx0 said:
Oooooo !

Balls it could be the answer ! Ok I need an 8 speed cassette then as I have 8 speed xt mech

your rear mech will quite happily cope with whatever size cassette you choose. i run m739s on 9 speed without bother.

you do still need a cassette with all the bits however

What's an 739 ? Shifters or mech ?

Sorry these shimano numbers are all new to me :(

I have the xt 8 speed mech , no shifters yet so I may sell this cassette off cheap as its missing one ring, great condition

Antfox":3532qmbn said:
What's an 739 ? Shifters or mech ?

Sorry these shimano numbers are all new to me :(

I have the xt 8 speed mech , no shifters yet so I may sell this cassette off cheap as its missing one ring, great condition

m739 is a shimano xt series number,

have a look her it will make more sense

http://mombat.org/Shimano.htm

my point was a supposedly designated 8 speed rear mech such as the xt m739, will work quite happily with a 7,8,9 or indeed 10 speed cassette.

its is the shifters and the cassette which decide how many speed bike it is not the mech, so your shifters and cassette must be the same speed.

seeing as you have an 8,9,10 speed rear hub( all the same) you can either go 8,9, or even ten speed. seeing as it is retrobike and you already have the hub,8 speed might be your best bet

Thanks for that !

If I went 9 speed I thought I would have the change the mech , and I love the black ad silver mech I have now think it looks much better .

I'm on the hunt for shifters now , aswell as brakes etc

Massive thanks again for all the replies and the info

Cheers

Anthony

Back