Sunday lunch, how many people do it?

Alison

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I tried it but after 3 meals I was bored with roast dinner, I think that I struggle to make my week of meals interesting but having a roast every week was just too much the same. Do you cope with this or vary your Sunday dinner?

Just curious as food is such a pain in the bum I'd take a tablet if I could but I know that for some Sunday dinner is the best family experience of the week

I have to add I cook all my family meals from scratch

Alison

Love a good Sunday roast.

I tend to alternate between beef and chicken with pork every few weeks. Avoid lamb as I'm not a big fan of it but will do it a couple of times a year.

rarely bother. got jamies 15minute meals (and his 30minute one before that). gives enough variety - but we stuck with one particular favourite for aaaages just because it tasted so damn good!

i only ever do it properly if i'm at a pub where i know its good :)

alison, we rarely have 'sunday lunch' as it's a meg faff, however we always eat together unless work of continents prevent and rarely have a ready meal. eating together is the important ingredient

My girlfriend will do one every other Saturday when we have my kids for the weekend (I have them alternating weekends). Don't do roast's on Sunday's as I'm usually working :evil: .

it's one of the best bits of winter (as doesn't work in summer so well - bbq instead), we will take in turns or joint effort particularly if family or friends coming over, with how much effort depending on how many but even if just the 3 of us I think its an important thing to do for the family to sit down and eat together and also teach our little one table etiquette, art of conversation etc as I think this is so important in life.

As to the food, this varies, chicken often in Gran's old chicken brick for added flavour, beef on or off bone depending on numbers and occasion with Yorkshires and all trimmings, pork, lamb (having leg of today), Gammon, etc - some part of a dead animal. Veg gets roasted, potatoes, sweet pots, squash, carrots, parsnips, so very easy, maybe cauliflower cheese but only if wife makes it (as she's the one that eats it).

For pudding - apple crumble or such like with custard !

Actually I think a roast is one of the easiest things to cook, the tricky bit is the timing (or project plan !) but once sussed its easier than most other things.

With the rise of the 'all you can eat buffet type carvery' establishment, its cheaper to have a decent Sunday roast out than it is to cook it ourselves.... So that's what we do.

i cook it every sunday.today it is leg of lamb ,roast carrots and parsnips,spuds,puds,peas ect followed by an apalling amount of mini choc eggs..i may even post pics when its done.ps dont peel the parsnips..just lightly season and roast with the potatoes and a chopped onion(red) and a hint of garlic.

A few years ago I decided to try and get the twins a bit more interested in their food apart from just eating it. So they take turns in choosing a meal, helping shop for it in the local shops and then a little bit of helping me prepare it. We then sit down together to eat it.

Charles has chosen today and he has gone for a giant Yorkshire pudding each filled with various roast vegetables and gravy. It is surprising how conservative a little boy can be as he tends to go for the same meals each time. His sister is far more willing to trawl through one of the 300 or so cooking books I have and try something new.

Back