Campagnolo - Shimano Compatibility Question

Woodyuk

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Hi All

Quick question regarding campagnolo - Shimano Compatibility?
Could I use a Campagnolo Crank and Campagnolo rear Derailleur with a Shimano cassete? and If yes would I then use a Shimano chain or a Campagnolo chain or does it make no difference?
My build has got stuck due to not having a Campagnolo cassette for my hubs and alos need wheels built but have a nice set of shimano wheels I would like to use so i can get out on my new build ;)
Any info would be appriciated

I have experienced with shimano freewheel with campy rear derailleur and shifters campy and works well.

It's best to use Campag shifters as well if possible, but it still might not work that well - a floating top jockey wheel will help it cope with the slight mis-adjustment.
I run Shimano cassettes with Campag groupsets for the convenience; it works ok-ish, but I prefer to use a JTek shiftmate which gives perfect shifting. An annoyingly expensive solution though. http://jtekengineering.com/shiftmate.php

For 7 speed Campag and Shimano both had 5mm spacing, so with Campag 7 shifters and mech all will be well. Mixing shifters and mechs usually does not work, the CTCsite has some workarounds though.

Hi

Thanks for the answers
I have a Campagnolo Derailleur and thumb shifters so I will give it a try out with the Shimano Cassette I presume it would be best to use a shimano chain? I will also look into getting a JTek shiftmate

Chain doesn't matter at all. Personally I avoid Shimano chains; while they are beautifully smooth and quiet they never seem to last long.

I used an Olympus rear much with xt thumbs, a shimano cassette and cook bros cranks bitd. Bit of a mishmash but it worked perfectly.

Carl

The XT pulls a completely different amount of cable to the Campag shifter. Often it will work with clean cables as the floating top jockey wheel takes up the misalignment. But it usually doesn't last and it is better to start from the right combination.

Back