DIY mountain bikes

tokic

Retro Newbie
Have you ever made any DIY mountain bike from some old road bike like raleigh, schwinn or something. Of course, you can't do it from italian road racing frames from 80s, but there are some frames with big BB height and big tire clearance, so you can put some 26x 2.0 tyres?

Brakes would be an issue.

If you stuck with 700c wheels and used cx tyres you would eventually end up with the kind of bike many of us made and rode 40 years ago :D

bring back the cow horns!!!
forks hammered straight in a kerb!
chopper rear wheel
cranks of a child's bike
pipe insulation on the top-tube (needed)
there was about 10 of us with the same style of home made urban bikes.....great days!
and just wedge your right foot between the seat post and rear tyre to stop!

In a similar vein, I had a folding shopper bike in the early 80s which I stripped down and tried to make 'BMXy'.

It did not work well. The folding joint finally sagged after one too many ramp jumps.

In the early 80's i must have heard the rumbling of the MTB invasion coming, i built a racing bike type thing with huge cowhorns, bmx grips, knobbly tyres and i thought i was the bees knees i even had a rear derallier protector and an AROOOOOOOOOGAH horn :LOL:

I bet i looked a right twat riding around with my orange walkman headphones playing Leo Sayer :facepalm:

If you have any photos of these projects, show it. I think in the 80s a lot of people made mtbs from cruisers, it would be also nice to see some "racing" mtb made of an old cruiser :)

Had a Raleigh arena with cow horns, I loved that bike could wheelie it for miles!

Was 74/5 ish for me , I had a Dawes kingpin that was my mums bike a 20" wheeled shopper
Everything surplus pulled off and some renthals of my dads montesa trials bike , fitted with a coke can shim
And a San remo saddle I got from the tip
My mate tosh had a Carlton 10 speed (that's a 5 x 2 for the younger readers) fitted with speedway bars
These were steel braced risers , tho the brace was flattened at the ends so it would fit thru the gap on a stem
Others had choppers with 700c forks and front wheels or Raleigh rsw20'swithh wide bars
The following year most of us bought mopeds

Mike

Back