1992 Rocky Mountain Titanium

raidan73":sjnsl93d said:
This is going to be sweet Frank. I love those Ritchey tyres but will they clash a bit with the decals, its hard to see on my phone!

I think it would go with the current decals as they are off a Ti-Bolt and the catalogue had these tyres on it. I picked these up in case I did sourced a Ti-Bolt, but I much rather have a Ti over Ti-bolt so the search for one or the other has ended. Xmas came late for me. :xmas-big-grin:

a few comments:

1. Awesome bike. Good score!
2. Love the nuke proof Flite saddle (as noted by others)
3. If I were you, I'd get the frame bead blasted to restore the satin finish.

Almost any paint shop or metal plating shop should be able to help you with this. There are also many different blast media which give different finishes and are appropriate for different metals. Some bead blasting actually uses crushed walnut shells. I would think the key factor is to be gentle. You don't want to damage the frame and you don't really need to remove any surface contamination or corrosion. It is just for aesthetics. According to Steve Potts the satin finish on his Ti frames is to help relieve internal tensions that develop during welding and de-stress the metal. Probably not important for a 20+ year old frame, but I still think a satin finish as per the original spec would look outstanding.

yes, i want to get it back to the original satin finish. :( just need to find a reputable place that can do the walnut shell blasting. I want to be sure no "accidents" happen to this.

RockiMtn":2eu7lnvj said:
yes, i want to get it back to the original satin finish. :( just need to find a reputable place that can do the walnut shell blasting. I want to be sure no "accidents" happen to this.

Nice work man!! I had my 1968 VW Karmann Ghia convertible walnut shell blasted at a place in Mississauga... Good price and nice place... I can set you up =)

Tried the XTR m901 headset on the frame, and I'm not quite liking the silver finish on the frame. So I picked up a black CK headset and re-using the 2nut kit I got and used on my smaller RM Ti. Only issue is I'm short on steerer threads now as the head tube is larger on this frame than the smaller Ti. Will need to swap some Powerlite forks around on my builds and perhaps even get one extended to get all my builds to work. :?

Attachments

• DSC03184.JPG
    DSC03184.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 337
Ack… :oops: went to service the bearings in the CK cups and I left it soaking in the degreaser too long and it stripped some of the black finish off it. it's now a grey-blue. didn't really know that would happen and i felt like a fool, :facepalm: but that quickly turned to, what the heck, it doesn't look too bad. :D

it's pretty much built up, just need to cable it up, add a chain and grips. not sure what colour to use for outers… black, white or XTR grey???

Attachments

• DSC03224.JPG
    DSC03224.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 290
  • DSC03230.JPG
    DSC03230.JPG
    28.6 KB · Views: 290
  • DSC03226.JPG
    DSC03226.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 290
also having my first crack at building a wheel for this project. i have an XTR m900 w/ Mavic m261 rear wheel i want to use but need a matching front. so picked up a front hub, Mavic m231 rim, package of DT spokes/nipples and some linseed oil. i got the wheel laced but haven't mustard up the courage to actually tighten it all up. :(

Attachments

• DSC03223.JPG
    DSC03223.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 286
  • DSC03222.JPG
    DSC03222.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 286
Is it a 1" 2Nut CK? If so, I can send you mine, it is also black. I am not using it, so PM me if you are interested.

ez054098":1nggvlls said:
Is it a 1" 2Nut CK? If so, I can send you mine, it is also black. I am not using it, so PM me if you are interested.

Nope it's a 1-1/8". Appreciate the offer though, thanks! I'm good with the "accident" that has happened to mine. I quite fancy the non off the shelf colour. :LOL:

Back