Wookiee's 1992 Marin Bear Valley

Nice - love this.....I've got the Pine Mountain from this year (which reminds me - I must get cracking with that build!)

My mate took a punt on one of these on eBay a few months back and has resprayed it. He won it for £30 and it was completely original, in good nick (under the filth) apart from the wheels which are Mavic 231 with a White Ind. front hub......lucky git.

Whereabouts did you source the black RM17s from? I need a rim to replace my rear one.....

sherlylock":33sv983z said:
Whereabouts did you source the black RM17s from? I need a rim to replace my rear one.....

Sorry my mistake they are black RM20s and I got them off here....

The wheels I got from Nevadasmith (RM20's DX hubs) turned up. And decided to give it a go with the Schwalbe City Jets I got as well from ebay (£23.90 a pair delivered!) Took the BV out for a blast this afternoon...wow it flys! Never really ridden anything other than MTB's with knobblies so was a bit of a revalation for me! Took it out on some country lanes near me and managed a little over 30 miles in 1.5hours which for me is something! And a top speed just over 40mph! Amazed at the difference in the ride and with 1.95's still plenty of "cushioning" against the shite road surface!

So if Bugsy Malone were to ever ride a bike it would look like this! Very "1920's gangster" as my wife put it! (tommy gun packed in the camelbak!)

Doug

Attachments

• Bear Valley slicks 1.jpg
    Bear Valley slicks 1.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 1,388
  • Bear Valley slicks 2.jpg
    Bear Valley slicks 2.jpg
    238.7 KB · Views: 1,388
chiswickcollectables":1rh4b4ag said:
Really like that Doug... looks a minty :cool:

Cheers mate its just a good old honest bike...what was about £400 back in '92! So whats that in todays money?? £600?? I had to loose the plastic levers and cantis as they cheapen up what is a nice frame....quite a surprise to me but nothing wrong with the 400LX mechs and 500LX chainset though. That said have my eye on some DX mechs!

Just love a Marin!

I'm bound to offer a kind comment or two , so i will :)

Perfect mid-level marin these bear valley's. Similar to rocky ridge, they have a racey geometry, short top tube sort of thing.

Easily upgraded with DX, which you've already started that campaign.

Should you need a bp 28.6 DX front mech, i'd be happy to do a straight swap. the XXXLX range is a fave of mine.

nice one doug. :cool:

marc two tone":2ez01zfg said:
I'm bound to offer a kind comment or two , so i will :)

Perfect mid-level marin these bear valley's. Similar to rocky ridge, they have a racey geometry, short top tube sort of thing.

Easily upgraded with DX, which you've already started that campaign.

Should you need a bp 28.6 DX front mech, i'd be happy to do a straight swap. the XXXLX range is a fave of mine.

nice one doug. :cool:

Thanks to Marc for the DX front mech...just the rear to sort now either DX or M735 XT methinks...

Right so the old BV has had a full upgrade...now has nice DX crankset with black SG rings, DX front mech (thanks Marc!) and DX rear mech to go with the DX STI's and XT cantis! Oh and the DX Araya RM20 wheelset so looking and working real nice!

Think its about there...might just add some barends to help with my wrist issues but a nice commuter!

Doug

Attachments

• dx bear 2.jpg
    dx bear 2.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 935
  • dx bear 3.jpg
    dx bear 3.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 935
  • dx bear 4.jpg
    dx bear 4.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 935
  • dx bear.jpg