Another P*SSED OFF Halfords customer

i think it would do halfords a world of good to have proper trained bicycle mechanics working for them.
at least people taking their bikes there would know there bikes are getting treated right.
if i was unemployed i'd take a job in halfords, it may not be the ideal job, but at least it would take the strain off our already abused benefit system.
if you get offered a job an refuse you don't deserve benefits.
and i hope no-one takes offence at my views, this isn't a dig at anyone here.
its just the state of the country as a whole.

Nothing against anyone who works at Halfords, it has its place in the high street and caters accordingly.

But as a Retrobike forum and complete bike nuts we are always going to be critical, its like asking a marathon runner what he thinks about Sports Direct :D

If they paid more they'd get decent mechanics, last time I looked at an advert the pay was rubbish and more importantly too few hours on offer.

I was generously given a sizeable Halfrauds gift voucher recently by colleagues when I transferred to a new post/location, I went to both of my nearest stores but couldn't find anything cycling related that caught my eye. All credit to the cycle dept manager though, he surprisingly turned out to be a serious and knowledgeable cyclist and was happy enough to trawl through their 'online only' products for me on his till/computer and order in for me any 'gucci' things that I really wanted, and at the online price too (20% discount). I would have had reservations spending my own hard earned £'s in this way though.

joe careless":bhnthk38 said:
If they paid more they'd get decent mechanics, last time I looked at an advert the pay was rubbish and more importantly too few hours on offer.

Rubbish pay compared to what?

Whats the industry average pay for a back room spanner and how do Halfords compare?

Average bike mechanic pay between minimu wage and £15,000. Halfords is minimum to just above minimum.

If I could get a job at mine I probably would but they rarely come up.

I was offered part time by my local branch but that was of no use.

The last HR manager I had was done for identity theft and fraud btw....( apologies for poor smartpphone editing!)

The problem with it all is that Halfords is most peoples idea of a bike shop. Free car parking, large stores usually located next to supermarkets. Nice and convenient - what's not to like?. Most local bike shops are pokey little affairs with little or no decent access. There is little that can be done to stop it though.

From personal experience, some of the Halfords staff aren't mechanically minded and lack product knowledge. The few that seem to know what they're talking about, actually have no idea!

I prefer to support my LBS, the staff there are friendlier and show a willingness to help. As a regular, sometimes i won't even be charged for a service. The general feedback Hafords has recieved is relatively poor! So, i won't rely on them again.

Interesting views about jobs, apparently bike mechanic opportunities at Halfords are often being advertised.

I had a chap roll in the other day needing a new 15mm maxle as he had taken his bike into a certain shop for service and they had killed it with mole grips (or similar), thats a £35.99 wheel removal before their labour charge was factored in.
I felt sorry for the chap but personally I wouldn't have service work carried out on my maserati in a go cart shop, its no different really.

One of my friends used to work at halfords in the cycle department many moons ago, his manager used to complain about how he dressed and that playing around on a bike at weekends and sometimes hurting himself was 'silly', he was the only person in the store who rode a bike, and now has his own company building trails and the like.

Back